• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 07:58:59 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Bells Two Hearted

Started by rollout, March 15, 2013, 12:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollout

Had a pile of Centennial from the last group buy and although I have never tasted the original the clone seems to get good review on other boards, so decided i'd give it a lash.

It was my first time using liquid yeast and therefore a starter too. Only realised after I had ordered it that WLP001 is the same strain as US05 but sure I had to try it sometime.

Did a one litre starter 2 days before brew day.There was no visible activity at all in the jar but I had read that this did not mean there was nothing happening. I put it into the fridge for the yeast to fall out and was going to decant but when I checked on it again a few hours later there was significant krausen! Anyone else had a starter kick off in the fridge? I would have assumed the cold would have begun to put them to sleep.

Anyway, all went well, pitched the whole litre and it was bubbling after 4-5 hours.

Bells 2 Hearted

Estimated Original Gravity (OG): 1.065  (°P): 15.9
Actual OG: 1.056
Estimated Final Gravity (FG):    1.016  (°P): 4.1
Est. Alcohol (ABV):         6.39 %
Colour (SRM):          7.4   (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU):      62.0   (Average)

65.22% Liquid Malt Extract - Light
21.74% Vienna
6.52% Carapils (Dextrine)
6.52% Crystal 20

25g Centennial (13% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
25g Centennial (13% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
25g Centennial (13% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
25g Centennial (13% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
25g Centennial (13% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

BIAB'd the grain at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermening at 20-21°C with WLP001 - California Ale

M3talDave

I drink Two Hearted by the gallon whenever I' home in Detroit.  I'd love to try a bottle or two to compare if you can get it to Ennis.  Would be happy to swap a couple bottles of my brew.

My dad did a Two Hearted clone that was v similar to yours and it worked really, really well.  About 85-90% similar to the original.

rollout

Well it's still to be bottled but i'm sure we can work something out. Would like to get a review from someone that knows the original.