• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 12:32:55 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Winter Warmer Competition [Early 2016]

Started by Shane Phelan, July 18, 2015, 04:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

July 18, 2015, 04:32:21 PM Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:29:59 PM by shiny
First time running this event, designed to be the sister competition of the summer session. Given the styles that people are entering for this competition I'm intentionally giving LOADS of notice so that people have time to age their beers properly. It is not a BJCP categorized competition so the tag line is 'Brew a beer that suits this scene' (image attached). The beer should reflect the following -  Warm and comforting. Imagine the type of beer you would go for, settling in for the night, snowing outside, no work in the morning, potentially a festive vibe. Something to be enjoyed slowly and savoured on a dark winters evening.

-   The idea is to run it at club level at the local meet ups for members only.
-   Each member gets a vote as to the best beer on the night.
-   Entrants can bring brew sheets to show how their beer was made, very important if funky ingredients are used.
-   Three beers get selected at the meet up and will be sent through to a national final.
-   The final will take place in early 2016, likely February to give clubs a chance to vote at their January meets.

Entry fee is €5
Prizes are to be announced closer to the time

Tips to brewing a winter warmer beer -

- This is not limited to the BJCP style at all, literally any beer or mead can be entered into this if it suits the scene depicted
   - Use different malts to build complexity and appropriate malts to enhance mouthfeel
   - No limits on % so that people can enter imperial stouts, barley wines, etc...
   - For people entering big beers, 300ml bottles will be allowed, this is only viable as it is a small competition

Brew Log

irish_goat

Nice idea, I've been planning a stab at a Buried at Sea kind of clone so I'll hopefully have that as an entry.

Bubbles

Noice! I think I already have something that would be suitable.

danger_zone

I've a buried at sea clone planned too. And I brewed an elderberry dark ale last year that pretty much summed up that scene, I'll give it another whirl too
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

molc

Belgian Dark strong ale always strikes me as a winter warmer. Guess I'll have to give it a go... ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

Tough style to do, molc. I can let you taste a shitty one at the meet on Thursday? Bit of research? ;)

Leann ull

I never really get this style, maybe it's because I can't chug it, time to dry hop with fishermans friend I guess

molc

Who doesn't love a bit of good research. Been trying to do a golden strong for a bit now and it's def not easy alright. You'll be trying samples in a month or two after some conditioning

Bubbles

Quote from: Ciderhead on July 28, 2015, 07:35:26 PM
I never really get this style, maybe it's because I can't chug it, time to dry hop with fishermans friend I guess

I think of it as a Belgian barleywine. More of a sipper alright.

Bubbles

Quote from: molc on July 28, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
Who doesn't love a bit of good research. Been trying to do a golden strong for a bit now and it's def not easy alright. You'll be trying samples in a month or two after some conditioning

I imagine the golden is even more challenging than the dark, as there's less malt to hide behind. These big fermentations will really test the brewing skills. Will bring a small bottle on thur so dude.

molc

I can bring my first one which stalled when fermenting in exchange :)

Vermelho

It's red rye spiced saison time! If that's a thing.

LordEoin

Hmm.. interesting theme. Time to check what ingredients are about. :)

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Ciderhead on July 28, 2015, 07:35:26 PM

I think someone needs to re-read the competition spec...
Brew Log

armedcor

I think I have a stout planned that fits this perfectly!