• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 10:51:18 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Free cocoa husks

Started by dcalnan, April 21, 2016, 06:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcalnan

If anyone is looking to do a chocolate stout or experimenting in the near future, I'm after getting 10kgs of them, so that's 20x500g(the figure I've seen online for in the mash). Im going to brewcon so I could bring some up with me if people wanted.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

cruiscinlan

Quote from: dcalnan on April 21, 2016, 06:24:25 PM
If anyone is looking to do a chocolate stout or experimenting in the near future, I'm after getting 10kgs of them, so that's 20x500g(the figure I've seen online for in the mash). Im going to brewcon so I could bring some up with me if people wanted.

Cool!! How much?

lordstilton

Chalk me down.. I'll be at brewcon.. Thanks

imark

dcalnan

Quote from: cruiscinlan on April 21, 2016, 06:30:26 PM
Quote from: dcalnan on April 21, 2016, 06:24:25 PM

Cool!! How much?

They're free, I've an unlimited supply if needs be

Beerbuddha

Just a quick one..... I got couple black sacks of these before look great around the flower beds but anyways the untreated cocoa nibs have salmonella its mainly on the husk so id be carefull about putting them into anything without nuking them ect.

http://www.confectionerynews.com/Regulation-Safety/Raw-chocolate-a-Salmonella-health-risk-says-NCA

IBD Member

Dodge

lordstilton

The boil should kill salmonella??

imark

Assuming it's not already been treated. I think holding at 65C for a few minutes is enough to kill salmonella in chicken so would expect similar would be OK.

dcalnan

Lots of veg and nuts can contain samonella as well, but I'm planning on putting the husks in the mash so it will be at ~65 for an hour and then boiled so no problems, if I was doing it in secondary I would definitely treat it.
I made a tea with some last night and it was really nice.

LASERBOY147

Do they impart a strong cocoa flavour?
I'd love to get 500g from you tomorrow at brewcon. My name is Brendan sewell. Hopefully I'll see you there. Thanks

auralabuse

Hey, can I also put my name down for some. Not sure how I will get to you but will arrange something. If you have some left of course

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

dcalnan

Quote from: LASERBOY147 on April 22, 2016, 12:12:34 PM
Do they impart a strong cocoa flavour?
I'd love to get 500g from you tomorrow at brewcon. My name is Brendan sewell. Hopefully I'll see you there. Thanks

Yeah there's a really strong cocoa flavour off them.

dcalnan

Quote from: auralabuse on April 22, 2016, 02:43:30 PM
Hey, can I also put my name down for some. Not sure how I will get to you but will arrange something. If you have some left of course

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Only 6 have asked for them so far, I've enough for 20. But if people want 1kg I could do that too.

nigel_c

I'll take a bag as well please.