• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 06:11:23 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Capital Brewer's Indian Summer Beer Competition

Started by Hingo, June 11, 2016, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hingo

June 11, 2016, 01:10:44 PM Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:04:06 PM by Hingo

Based on BJCP IPA Style Grouping, we want you to brew your best Indian Pale Ale ( Although Pale may optional these days).

Given the warm weather there may be an added challenge for some people but there's plenty of tips and advice to help with this.

Styles Open to be entered are:

12C. English IPA

21A. American IPA

21B. Specialty IPA (Including, but not limited to,Belgian IPA, Black IPA, Brown IPA, Red IPA & White IPA)

22A. Double IPA

The closing date for entries to be registered is 14th August.

Closing date for dropping off bottles is Saturday 20th August Beers must be with your local club rep that has agreed to be a drop off point or at the venue below.

The competition will be held on Sat 27th August..

There will be prizes for each sub-category, with a grand prize for Best of Show.

Max 60 beers, (Limit: 1 beer per person per  sub-category).

Cost €5 per entry.Must be paid via http://capitalbrewers.org/ using Paypal.

Open to All Full Members of National Homebrew Club.

Full rules, terms & conditions below and on competition website.

Registration Via: http://capitalbrewers.org/

Please PM if you want to volunteer for stewarding or judging.

Styles Open to be entered are:

- 12C. English IPA
- 21A. American IPA
- 21B. Specialty IPA (Including, but not limited to,Belgian IPA, Black IPA, Brown IPA, Red IPA & White IPA)
- 22A. Double IPA

Brewers are limited to only one entry per subcategory – max 4 entries. The competition total limit is 60.

Members Only

Registration is open only to Full National Homebrew Club members. Members must use their email address associated with their membership in order to register.

Online Payment
Entry fees must be paid online using the competition application; payment MUST be made using PayPal. Paypals fees must be paid by entrant. Entries will not be confirmed until payment has been received.
If required, withdrawal of paid entries must be made prior to registration cut off date (14th August 2016) after which point the entry will be deemed committed and no refund will be available.

Drop Points
Wallace's Asti, 18 Russell Street, Dublin 1 will act as main drop point.
Local Club Reps will be contacted and will advise if any local club members can act as a drop point that will be able to transport entries to the venue for judging.

General Structure, Rules & Regulations
All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers (i.e., no use of commercial facilities or Brew on Premises operations, supplies, etc.).

The competition organizers are not responsible for mis-categorized entries, mailed entries that are not received by the entry deadline, or entries that arrived damaged.

The competition organizers reserve the right to combine styles for judging and to restructure awards as needed depending upon the quantity and quality of entries.

Qualified judging of all entries is the primary goal of our event. Judges will evaluate and score each entry. The average of the scores will rank each entry in its category. Each flight will have at least one BJCP judge.

The competition committee reserves the right to combine categories based on number of entries. All possible effort will be made to combine similar styles. All brews in combined categories will be judged according to the style they were originally entered in.

Entries

- There is a limit of sixty (60) entries for this competition.
- Entry Fees: €5.00 per entry.
- Entries must be registered and paid by 14th August.
- Entries must be 2 x 500ml Brown crown capped or swing-top bottles regardless of strength. These must be void of all identifying information, including labels and embossing.
- Corked bottles are not acceptable .
- Printed caps are allowed, but must be blacked out completely.
- Brown glass bottles are preferred; however, green glass will be accepted. Clear glass is not acceptable. 
- Bottles will not be returned to contest entrants.

- Competition labels must be submitted with all entries, and can be printed directly from this website.

- Labels should be attached to bottles with a rubber band only; glue and/or tape are unacceptable.

- Bottles not meeting the above requirements will be disqualified

- Please fill out the entry forms completely. Be meticulous about noting any special ingredients that must be specified. Failure to note such ingredients may impact the judges' scoring of your entry.

Competition & Prizes

The Best of Show judging will be determined by a Best of Show panel based on a second judging of the top winners.

The awards ceremony will take place once judging is completed.

Places will be awarded to each sub category based on size: Large sub-categories will have slots for 1st, 2nd & Honourable Mention (HM), Smaller sub-categories will depend in entries received. (IE. We can't offer 3 medals for a sub-category with 4 entries...). The competition organizers reserves the right to dictate how this will be structured based on confirmed entries registered and will publish the same in advance of the competition date.

Top placing entries in each sub-category will advance to the Best of Show (BOS) round with a single, overall Best of Show beer selected.
Additional prizes may be awarded to those winners present at the awards ceremony at the discretion of the competition organizers.

Prizes will be announced ahead of the competition date.

The competition organizer is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.

No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.

Score sheets will either be scanned and emailed or returned after the awards ceremony – awards will be available after the ceremony concludes. Score sheets not picked up will be emailed back to participants. Results will be posted to the competition web site after the ceremony concludes. Bottles will not be returned to entrants.

The competition organizers reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of The competition organizer's control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants, via Nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/, as soon as possible by the competition organizer.

Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these full terms and conditions set out above.

molc

Is it going to be bjcp registered? Chasing my judging points :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Hingo

Quote from: molc on June 11, 2016, 01:47:54 PM

Hopefully, I paid the fee with them so waiting on the confirmation. Will revert here once I have more deets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

Hingo

Quote from: molc on June 11, 2016, 01:47:54 PM

Got email confirmation this morning from the BJCP - Judges will get Credit for participation in this competition.

SlugTrap

Two weeks between drop and judging day - have you arranged refrigerated storage of entries?

Hingo

Quote from: SlugTrap on June 15, 2016, 02:57:56 PM
Two weeks between drop and judging day - have you arranged refrigerated storage of entries?
Yep

Hingo

A really big fridge downstairs in Asti dedicated for beer, One of the reasons for going there.

Motorbikeman

If I brew this weekend, do you think I would have one ready?

Leann ull

A week per percent, loads of time maybe even too early if you want punchy fresh hops to shine?

Hingo

I'm brewing a 9% DIPA this weekend, as I'll be away til July otherwise. Lot of lads brewing for lower level IPA styles will probably closer to the time to get that "fresh as possible" entry.

Leann ull

Interesting article and comment there about fast chilling to save aroma!

DEMPSEY

Not sure what he say's here,

QuoteFerment at 67°F (19°C) for 18 days with the yeast of your choosing. On the third day, dry hop with Chinook at bunging. Beginning on day four, make sure to keep top pressure on the beer to naturally carbonate. Pull the yeast on day 10. Chill to 32°F (0°C) for the final three days (days 19-21), and filter for a bright, crisp taste.

Is he saying that you need a pressure tank and you ferment for a total of 18 day's and then during that time you add your dry hop but not clear when he says remove dry hop.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hingo

Sounds like it alright, not sure how feasible that is for the average homebrewer, unless you ferment in a corny from day 1