• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:27 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

TOG Brewday - 11th August

Started by Padraic, July 15, 2013, 01:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

July 15, 2013, 01:15:45 PM Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:50:22 PM by Il Tubo
Venue: Tog, Chancery Lane, Dublin 8 (www.tog.ie)
Cost: Free (Donations will be accepted, by tog or the capital brewers)

Format:
Brewing -  All Grain, possibly Extract.
Beers - I'll hopefully have some of the beer from the last brewday.
Talks - Has anyone got a talk/workshop ready to go for the event?

Kick off as always at 10:00, see some of you there!

01. Padraic

Dr Jacoby

I have the bones of a talk ready. It's a practical guide to water treatment. I'll print up some handouts beforehand to make things easier. I might also bring my laptop to demonstrate how to use a water treatment calculator.

01. Padraic
02. Dr Jacoby
Every little helps

Shane Phelan

TOG have a fairly massive projector in their main room so i'm fairly sure you could hook up to that.

01. Padraic
02. Dr Jacoby
03. Shiny
Brew Log

Dr Jacoby

Every little helps

Padraic

Yea, we can use the projector and it should be easy enough to set up. Should we bring a few samples of tap water to have a few different ones, a nice practical workshop on testing water?

I could buy the test kits if someone told me what to get! I need to get some test kits anyway!

Shane Phelan

Yeah I think it would be worth doing that. for example Tube's water vs TOG's water. And maybe a sample before and after boiling?

I think Will_D has a few different types of kits.
Brew Log

Dr Jacoby

I can bring a bunch of stuff:

- calcium test kit
- alkalinity test kit
- pH meter
- calcium sulphate (i.e. gypsum)
- calcium chloride
- magnesium (i.e. epsom salts)
- lactic acid
- campden tablets

I also have a copy of a recent water report that I'll be able to go through.

I don't think it's practical to demonstrate everything on the list above but I can probably do one of the water test kits and maybe show how lactic acid can be used to alter pH.

What I'd really like to do though is take people through a typical brew day and show all the steps that go into treating water, especially during the mash. It might be good to compare how you would go about treating soft water versus hard water too.

Edit: one idea would be to give a short talk and then demonstrate some of the theory during the brew itself (if the brewer doesn't mind having their water messed with [in a good way!])
Every little helps

Shane Phelan

The TOG water is very soft and probably very similar to yours so you could probably, for the sake of simplicity, assume it is the same for a water treatment example. 
Brew Log

Dr Jacoby

Cool. Maybe a quick side by side alkalinity test of the TOG water versus Leixlip water. People would also bring along there own water to test it themselves using the kits. They're very easy to work with.
Every little helps

Ciderhead

I think there is a problem with the Calender as the Wicklow one I posted into wordpress for June didn't make it either :P

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: Il Tubo on July 16, 2013, 10:06:34 AMI did it the very first brew day. TOG came in 20-40, Leixlip was doing 320 at the time. No harm in repeating though as Leixlip varies a lot, tho generally no lower than 200.

320! That's hard as nails  8)

Yea, I think repeating the test would be useful, even if it's just to show people how to do it. If I can get a sample of your Leixlip water closer to the event I could even boil it after testing it to see how much precipitates out of solution.
Every little helps

Hop Bomb

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Dr Jacoby

Every little helps

Padraic

Quote from: Ciderhead on July 16, 2013, 10:20:11 AM
I think there is a problem with the Calender as the Wicklow one I posted into wordpress for June didn't make it either :P

The same issue here... :P

I'll stick this one in the claendar at the end of the week when it's fully confirmed with Tog!

Bubbles

01. Padraic
02. Dr Jacoby
03. Shiny
04. Bubbles