• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:12:21 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mason Jars

Started by Bazza, August 09, 2013, 09:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

Aright?

Anyone know where I could get my hands on 3 or 4 *cheap* mason jars? I'm currently using my old 1-gallon demijohns for making 1L yeast starters and given the wide surface area for such a small amount of liquid, it's not always easy to tell if the starter has started.

I realise if using mason jars for yeast starters to not have a completely tight seal, so maybe conicals are a better option, though I can see other uses for the mason jars too.

Would the same size bung/airlock combo for a 1 gallon demijohn fit in a conical? If so, maybe I've talked myself round to conicals instead so I'll rephrase the original question:

Anyone know where I could get my hands on 3 or 4 *cheap* conical flasks?

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Bazza

QuoteThe bung will fit one of the sizes, I think the 1 litre. They all have different neck sizes.

Cheers Shane, so a wide-necked 1L conical. Sounds good.

QuoteI think Ikea sell mason jars?

Snap out of it, man! Have you forgotten the 6th commandment of home-brewing: never (pronounced 'nivvir' up here) buy at retail price what you can make, get second hand, scrounge, inherit from a  dead relative, find in a skip.....

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Shane Phelan

I have a spare 1L and 500ml conical flask if you want them. €6 and a bottle of home-brew and they are yours.
Brew Log

Bazza

Cheers, Shiny. I might be interested in the 1L flask. Do you know if the next is wide enough to fit a standard bung for a 1 gallon demijohn?

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Shane Phelan

Its a good bit wider than the bung from a demijohn, the bung would fall into it.
Brew Log

sub82

Are you a fan of Sauerkraut?!  :P

S-bury's do good stuff in nice big jars which are approx. 1L.

Bazza

What do you typically user on the top of it then; bit of perforated tin foil?

I think I'd be interested in both flasks at 6 euro, and I'll try and dig out something that passes as a bottle of decent homebrew.

Only issue now is the logistics of payment & delivery. You coming up to the Hilden festival by any chance?

Cheers,

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Bazza

QuoteAre you a fan of Sauerkraut?

Hah, Chris. Yep; f I start force feeding the kids with mayonnaise, sauerkraut and pickles I could have a pretty impressive collection of jars by the end of the summer. Cheers for the tip :)

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Bazza on August 09, 2013, 11:42:33 AM
What do you typically user on the top of it then; bit of perforated tin foil?

I think I'd be interested in both flasks at 6 euro, and I'll try and dig out something that passes as a bottle of decent homebrew.

Only issue now is the logistics of payment & delivery. You coming up to the Hilden festival by any chance?

Yeah I just use tinfoil, I was contemplating getting these in the next group buy as an alternative to tinfoil but I reckon people could make these themselves.

I'm not going up to Hilden but someone at the TOG brewday might and I could give your stuff to them if that suited?
Brew Log

Bazza

QuoteI'm not going up to Hilden but someone at the TOG brewday might and I could give your stuff to them if that suited?

Yep; that'll do the job. I've some euro left from my ill-fated Sligo trip so I'll get that to you. I can buy something nice from the offie,  take the label off put a crude sticker on it and get that to you too.

Cheers, Shiny!

-Barry
― Groucho Marx