• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:49 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Iodophor

Started by mr hoppy, July 31, 2013, 12:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr hoppy

Like the title says, any one know where I can get this, preferably here in Ireland, and not in huge quantities?

Thanks!

Ciderhead

July 31, 2013, 12:48:31 AM #1 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:02:21 AM by Ciderhead
any co-op has it for milking parlours.
If you go into Glanbia and ask for teet wash you can also dip your teets in in :)
Please let me know the time and place so that I can be there to record for posterity
Really really messy stuff and I think most sell in 25 Lires, but obviously works
You been watching US homebrew sites again :)

mr hoppy

Yep, specifically one where they said to try using two sanitisers after an infected batch.

I'd noticed it's available for the farming community here. Mind I wasn't planning on spending 100 euros on 25 litres of the stuff even if I did have a dodgy batch.

Ciderhead

you concerned about plastic buckets?
I would suggest vwp or oxi or non perfumed lidl stuff in a higher than normal conc filled to the brim with water and lid inserted and immersed for 24 hours and that will kill everything, its a cheaper easier solution for homebrewers.
A really soak in water for 24 hours and a squirt of your preferred sanitiser which for me is SS and you are good to go.

mr hoppy

Buckets, bungs, flip top bottles. I had thought about a VWP / starsan combo as well. I reckon I'll give that a try instead.

Taf

Hi Andy.

I'd say dairygold in grenagh have it, and don't think it is €100, as I'm sure I priced it before. It be interested in it as well, so maybe split it out in 5l increments if we can get another 3 peopleinterested.

mr hoppy

Thanks for suggesting that Billy. I might have a look into the pros and cons first, I'm not sure how much I like messy if VWP will do the trick.

johnrm

I have stuff that is used in commercial breweries.
Google amphoclen
I have a Gallon, 10ml in your 5gal will kill everything.

Greg2013

Quote from: johnrm on July 31, 2013, 11:28:54 PM
I have stuff that is used in commercial breweries.
Google amphoclen
I have a Gallon, 10ml in your 5gal will kill everything.

Is that no rinse John ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

johnrm

Nope, but it kills everything, so who cares!
As used in abbatoirs, BREWERIES, etc.

mr hoppy

Monster thread on Homebrew Talk about the pros and cons of Star San and iodophor. Seems some people don't like the bubbles from star san but and iodophor stains, but it won't corrode metal which star san will. As I don't use any metal post boil I'll stick with star san which has the added bonus that you can put it in a spray bottle which makes it really easy to use and economical.

One thing I didn't realise is that as long as something is still wetted with either star san or iodophor it keeps killing the bugs.

I also use star san to fill siphons which I can't imagine doing with an iodine based sanitiser.

For the old-one two on the infection I'll try bleach / vinegar (not mixing them directly of course) but I might try the amphoclen if that doesn't work.

Eoin

Quote from: mr happy on August 01, 2013, 11:05:35 AM
Monster thread on Homebrew Talk about the pros and cons of Star San and iodophor. Seems some people don't like the bubbles from star san but and iodophor stains, but it won't corrode metal which star san will. As I don't use any metal post boil I'll stick with star san which has the added bonus that you can put it in a spray bottle which makes it really easy to use and economical.

One thing I didn't realise is that as long as something is still wetted with either star san or iodophor it keeps killing the bugs.

I also use star san to fill siphons which I can't imagine doing with an iodine based sanitiser.

For the old-one two on the infection I'll try bleach / vinegar (not mixing them directly of course) but I might try the amphoclen if that doesn't work.

The bubbles make star san far superior in my opinion. They keep everything nicely covered in a layer of protection and wet.

mr hoppy

I never had a problem with the bubbles (cos John Palmer told me :)) but it's nice that they're actually a benefit.