• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 06:39:35 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

September meet!

Started by sub82, August 06, 2014, 03:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub82

As we're already into August it might be a bit short notice for an August meet, so how does Friday 26th September sound to everyone?

The Hudson have said this should suit but are to call me back and confirm.

BrewBilly

Hi Chaps

I probably will be scarce in September, going to the States for 2 weeks for work then moving house on around the 26th

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

Bazza

Aye, should be fine for the 26th. I'll just postpone washing my hairs till the following Friday.

Any other takers out there?

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

yarmot

Amac47

sub82

Hi everyone - I was just confirming the date with the Hudson yesterday. Unfortunately the person I spoke to said that we're no longer able to sample homebrews on a weekend night. Not sure why there's been a change of heart but the main reason seems to be that, at the weekend, the bar will be busy and they don't want other people seeing us opening our own beers.

We can still use the Hudson and sample homebrews but it needs to be earlier in the week when the bar is quieter. I was chatting with Barry about this and it seems we've 3 options:

• Pick a day earlier in the week.
  • Choose a new venue which will allow weekend sampling (any suggestions would be great!).
  • Continue with our original plans but have no sampling and organise some sort of homebrew swap, a kind of homebrew swinging, if you will!

I'll add a poll to see what people think and any comments would be great!

yarmot

I can see their point. I don't mind mid-week, my job's far more enjoyable when I roll in half cut.
Alternatively, don't the local CAMRA branch use an upstairs room at the Bridge House for their monthly meet-up?

Bazza

I'm mostly with Yarmot on this one.

I'm not a lover of doing these things on a Friday, mainly because we usually end up being bunched in with all the Friday drinkers and it can get very crowded. Now a lot of that can be put down to the Hudson never being able to remember a booking and therefore not reserving a space for us. I can understand, however, any bar's reluctance to reserve an area for a crowd of folk who are going to come in and drink their own beer for 2 hours on a busy Friday, whilst surrounded by a surge of regular paying customers. Now, I know there's the unwritten rule that we also buy from the bar but I guess it's also down to the perception of the regular punter who comes in and sees this going on, without the benefit of the full facts.

Weekdays mean more breathing space, better chance of a booking remembered and we can drink our own samples. There is the obvious downside of work the next day, etc. Then again, for those of us whose kids have numerous stuff on early from early Saturday through to late Sunday every day is effectively a weekday  >:(

On the subject of other venues, I can't see it being any different anywhere else on a Friday night; in fact for a lot of bars it's their busiest night of the week.
Yarmot's point about the Bridge House upstairs room could be one line of inquiry but bear in mind that the CAMRA guys don't go there to drink their own beer. A bar is perfectly in their own right to flat refuse letting people drink anything other than what they bought on the premises.

If Friday 26th still suits most people then maybe we can stick to that date in the Hudson and just bring samples for swapping. The main agenda item would have to be what happens from October onwards.

Personally, as  much as I'm frustrated by the Hudson's lack of consistency and organisation, coupled with the constantly forgotten bookings and the feeling that we're in their way, I still prefer the option of continuing to use them on a weeknight, as long as we can sample our own beer and have more dedicated space. Better the devil you know.

A good number of the other clubs have their meetings on weeknights, so maybe we were the lucky exception up until now.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Great points yarmot and Bazza!

So we'll run with the 26th and in the meantime look at what weeknight would suit best? Would anyone prefer a weeknight? I'll give it until Monday and then confirm with the Hudson.

Jonny

Hey guys,

Room for a complete newbie? Just started kit brewing but definitely keen to learn more. Be useful to meet with some more experienced / knowledgeable folks such as yourselves. Just discovered this board. Really useful but more importantly, extremely active! Definitely good to see.

Jonny.

sub82

Hi Jonny - absolutely! The more the merrier!

What kits have you been doing?

Jonny

Superb!  Thanks Chris.  I'll keep an eye on what you guys are planning then and hopefully be able to make it along.

On my second kit now.  But started with this one.

http://www.houseofhomebrew.co.uk/beer-kits/brewbuddy/brewbuddy-lager-beer-kit

Then I moved on to this one.

http://www.houseofhomebrew.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=459

It's amazing how much you learn just by giving it a go.  Wanna get a good feel for it all before I move on to the all grain brewing but definitely looking forward to giving that a go.

sub82

Great stuff Jonny! You've probably already read about extract brewing but we found that a great stepping stone to all grain brewing.

Amac47

I'm with Barry on this one and would much prefer a weeknight with the possibility of sampling each others beers rather than swapping. Think it's nice to hear the comments first hand about ones brew.  I was with the Bristol Craft Brewers for just under a year...they held their meets on the first Thursday of the month and rented an upstairs room of a local pub. We all paid a sub of £1 to cover room rental.  Anyone know of a bar with a room which they would rent on a monthly basis...I think this would be the better way to go?

Alan

sub82

Just to let you all know that this meet is still planned. I've been chatting with a few people at the Hudson and there's a possibility that we might be able to sample homebrews. Apparently the first person I spoke to had us confused with another group. I've been promised an email by the end of the weekend to let me know either way.

@Alan That's a great idea - will have to confirm it but I think if we plan a meet during the week the Hudson should be able to give us a room.