• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 11:35:32 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Youngs New World Belgian Saison

Started by _dj_, May 10, 2015, 12:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_dj_

There doesn't seem to be a thread about this kit so I decided to start one. Hope that's OK.

I followed the instructions almost exactly, they are the same as most kits except for the fermentation temperature. 20-32 degrees is recommended and I was quite surprised to see that "Greater than 24 degrees will not impair quality of Saison (it will actually improve yeast character)".

I was aiming for about 28 degrees with the wort before adding the yeast but ended up at about 30 - added too much boiling water. Added the yeast anyway, and have been keeping it at 28 degrees once it dropped to that. It's been bubbling away for the last few days and started bubbling after a few hours.

Had a OG of about  1.054 so if it drops to 1.008 (as it's supposed to) I should get a 6.3% ABV. The instructions say fermentation should take about 10 days but I'll probably leave it about 3 weeks, adding the hops 2-3 days before bottling. Hopefully I'll have my first taste for my graduation at the end of June!

Has anyone else brewed this kit? If so what temperature was used and how did it turn out? Really looking forward to this beer.

delzep

Not brewed this kit but brewed an all grain Saison a few weeks ago. Went from 1.062 to 1.008 in 6 days at 28c. Been in the bottle only 2 weeks but tasted nice from the fermenter

ronniedeb

I've done this kit. Really nice. Fermentation temp was about 21-23. Turned out fine. No off flavours.

Kevin O'Roundwood

Thanks for sticking up the review. After tasting the Dungarvan Seaweed Saison got me thinking of trying out this kit.

Any difficulty keeping the temp at 28 degrees? Will the bog standard brew belt handle this alright?

Looking forward to seeing how this ends up
Buachaill dána

_dj_

Quote from: delzep on May 10, 2015, 04:13:48 PM
Not brewed this kit but brewed an all grain Saison a few weeks ago. Went from 1.062 to 1.008 in 6 days at 28c. Been in the bottle only 2 weeks but tasted nice from the fermenter

Nice to know I'm using the same temperature. Did you bottle after 6 days?

Quote from: Kevin Roundwood on May 10, 2015, 08:26:40 PM
Thanks for sticking up the review. After tasting the Dungarvan Seaweed Saison got me thinking of trying out this kit.

Any difficulty keeping the temp at 28 degrees? Will the bog standard brew belt handle this alright?

Looking forward to seeing how this ends up

Going to go see if I can find a bottle of the seaweed saison later!

No problems at all keeping it at 28. I'm surprised how the belt is only on for about half the time but I have it wrapped up well with a sleeping bag.

Kevin O'Roundwood

Nice graph! Is that the Brew Pi yolk?
Buachaill dána

_dj_

Something similar, but a good bit more basic. Just a pi and temperature probes to record the data. Followed these instructions for the most part http://raspberrywebserver.com/cgiscripting/rpi-temperature-logger/building-an-sqlite-temperature-logger.html

Then just added a solid state relay to turn on the heat belt when the temp falls below what value I set it to.

I might do a write up of the setup at some stage.

Garry

Kevin O'Roundwood

Quote from: _dj_ on May 11, 2015, 11:11:52 AM
Something similar, but a good bit more basic.

It was about here that you lost me.....

:(
Buachaill dána

_dj_

Haha, it probably helps that I'm an electronic engineer for that sort of stuff.

Kevin O'Roundwood

Yeah - that might help alright!  ;D
Buachaill dána

delzep

I bottled mine after about 3 weeks

Laziness O0

Vermelho

Quote from: _dj_ on May 11, 2015, 11:11:52 AM
Something similar, but a good bit more basic. Just a pi and temperature probes to record the data. Followed these instructions for the most part http://raspberrywebserver.com/cgiscripting/rpi-temperature-logger/building-an-sqlite-temperature-logger.html

Then just added a solid state relay to turn on the heat belt when the temp falls below what value I set it to.

I might do a write up of the setup at some stage.

Savage! Was this expensive? I think I might try it. Don't have the engineering background but I'm sure us plebs can do it right?

Vermelho

Okay first stumbling block hit, they don;t mention equipment needed in the article. What did you use?

_dj_

There are loads of tutorials for this kind of think online, so it should be possible to follow them. It took me a few days to get my head around the software side of stuff but mostly I just followed what others had done.

If all you are looking for is temperature control you are better off going with a STC1000 controler http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,7491.0.html

If it's the graphs you want you need a raspberry pi. The first things you need are a pi, sd card, power supply (micro usb), internet (either wifi dongle or much better/easier an ethernet cable) and DS18B20 temperature probe(s) along with the wires to connect them and a 4.7 kohm resistor. http://raspbrew.tumblr.com/post/39850791984/reading-temperatures-on-a-raspberry-pi-using should help with the hardware for that much.

I think you should be able to get everything for under €50 if you shop around for stuff. I already had a spare pi, resistors and wires lying about. What really increased to cost for me was getting stainless steal thermowells that I could put though the hole in a rubber bung and would also fit the temp probes. Had to order them from america. It's probably a bit overkill, and you should easily get away with just sticking the probes to the side of the bucket.