• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 08:11:15 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Summer Session Competition [15th August 2015]

Started by Shane Phelan, June 01, 2015, 10:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

June 01, 2015, 10:56:32 AM Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:26:59 PM by shiny
Capital brewers are running the annual Summer Session beer competition again this year in Dublin. It is not a BJCP categorized competition so the tag line is 'Summer Session Beers of <4%'. The beer should reflect the following -  Summer in a glass. Light, refreshing, medium body, thirst quenching, balanced beer of low ABV (a lawnmower beer). Something to enjoy on those two days of summer we get every year.

-   The idea is to run it at club level at the local meet ups for members only.
-   Each member gets a vote as to the best beer on the night.
-   Entrants can bring brew sheets to show how their beer was made, very important if sub 3%ABV or funk involvement.
-   Two beers get selected at the meet up and will be sent through to a national final.
-   The final will take place in mid August.

Prizes and entry fee (likely to be €5) are to be announced but it is time to get brewing.

Tips to brewing a low ABV beer -

- Be careful not to mash too low and end up with a very dry & light bodied beer.
   - Use different malts to build body
   - Be careful to balance hop bitterness with the lighter body.
   - Attenuation of a beer like this is key so choose your yeast carefully

More details to follow but the format is going to be very similar to previous years.  One difference is going to be the amount of information that the judges get about the beer. I'm hoping that they will be provided with ABV, style and yeast used to allow them to judge the beer more effectively. This is important for beers that might be sub 3%,  beers with funky yeasts or speciality ingredients.

Once your club has selected the top two beers to go through, get them to either me, Ronan or Kavanagh's on dorset street before the 15th with the following information on each bottle:

QuoteFirst name
Surname
NHC forum nickname
BJCP Category
Beer name
Summer session Competition Judge (y/n)
Phone Number
Email
Planning to attend on the day (y/n/maybe)

If you are giving the bottles to Ronan or myself personally then include the fiver with the entry sheet on the bottle, if you are handing it in to Kavanagh's then we will sort it out with paypal.
Brew Log

danger_zone

How do we enter. Is there an entry form for this, or do we just attach our own info on the bottles and drop our beers at a drop-off point?
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

Shane Phelan

Each club has their own mini competition, select's the top two beers and gets them to Dublin before the 15th. Some clubs are doing their selections this week and some next week.

Who is your local club?
Brew Log

danger_zone

Wee County Brewers. We have our beers picked, I was just unsure whether they needed specific labels attached to them or anything

I'll get them down to you next week sometime. Sweetmans, yeah?
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

Shane Phelan

The competition is in Kavanagh's on Dorset street, I will update the OP to include the following information, same info the Liffey lads used for their comp. If you can attach the following information to each bottle please:

First name
Surname
NHC forum nickname
BJCP Category
Beer name
Summer session Competition Judge (y/n)
Phone Number
Email
Planning to attend on the day (y/n/maybe)

In terms of the fiver for entry, it depends on who you are giving it to. If you are giving it to me or Ronan (Beerfly) then attach the fiver to the bottles, if you are dropping it in somewhere then we will arrange transfer though paypal.
Brew Log

delzep

July 31, 2015, 12:55:52 AM #5 Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:24:25 AM by delzep
QuoteSummer session Competition Judge (y/n)

what does this mean?

on the day/night you mean?

Shane Phelan

On the day of the final only, those judges have already been picked.  We will be double checking that on the day anyway.
Brew Log

delzep

Shane Phelan

Hey delzep, we only have one dedicated drop point in Dublin (Kavanagh's). In previous years we have relied on the NHC express to get the beers up to Dublin from the other clubs as the competition is too small to justify drop points around the country. It has been down to the wire several times using this approach but usually we get most of the beers in on time.

How many do you have?
Brew Log

delzep

I'm in Dublin so its no bother getting to Kavanaghs, just wanted to know where I could drop them off. Means I can grab a pint or two while I'm there  O0.

Will the barman know what the craic is when I leave them off?

Shane Phelan

There is the main barman and the manager (who is often between the off-licence and the pub), both of them should know the score.
Brew Log

beerfly

Quote from: delzep on August 04, 2015, 11:39:55 AM
Will the barman know what the craic is when I leave them off?

Quote from: danger_zone on July 30, 2015, 06:15:09 PM
I'll get them down to you next week sometime. Sweetmans, yeah?

Depends on when your dropping them off, have not confirmed that with them yet but it was ok for the nationals.
I'll hopefully have it confirmed later, i can also meet people around the city center too.

beerfly

You can drop them in to kavanaghs. If it's early in the day you can also drop them into the off licence.
Between there and the bar someone should know about it.

delzep