• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 11:37:21 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Elderflower Cider/Wine ?

Started by Greg2013, May 24, 2015, 11:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

I had an old bottle of Elderflower cordial conc.(still) i did 2 years ago so yesterday i decided to do something with it. I bunged it into a pot with 1.5 litres of cheapo Lidl apple juice,added 500gr Demerara sugar and 1tsp of yeast nutrient plus 1 tsp pectolase and topped it up to 5 litres with water,boiled for 15 mins to sanitize and threw the lot into a bucket.When it had cooled i added a Vintners Harvest CL23 yeast starter. ;D

OG was 1070@5litres,i transferred to a demijohn once it had kicked off,only use the bucket first cause i thought she would blow. My question now is do i make it a cider or wine ? Elderflower was quite strong in the cordial. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

LordEoin

I'd probably go cider on it. Sweet and bubbly is nice with elderflower.

HomeBrewWest

Greg, where did you get the Vintner's harvest yeast? And what do you think of them?

We have them on order, should be here in June sometime.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Greg2013

Quote from: LordEoin on May 24, 2015, 01:33:26 PM
I'd probably go cider on it. Sweet and bubbly is nice with elderflower.

I was going to go wine tbh but could do cider also,plenty time to decide anyway. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on May 24, 2015, 02:30:51 PM
Greg, where did you get the Vintner's harvest yeast? And what do you think of them?

We have them on order, should be here in June sometime.

From a friend that has a home brew shop in UK,i have been using them since i started home brewing two years ago now, and i find if it's anything "country wine" related or a concoction such as a turbo cider that is high OG they are the only job.I have only ever used the SN9 and CL23,they both finish quite dry but i do prefer the slightly cleaner finish on the SN9 especially for a straight apple cider it gives a very dry crisp clean finish. ;D