• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 10:50:57 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Any experience with Mangrove Jack M44?

Started by Pheeel, January 13, 2015, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheeel

Anyone have any experience with Mangrove Jack M44  (US West coast Yeast)? I heard it's a slow starter but it's starting to take the proverbial

I brewed on Sunday finishing about 3PM. I rehydrated the yeast. It didn't look very active but I threw it in anyway. Tuesday morning and I'm getting the starting of krausen (see pic) but nothing visibly bubbling away. I was going to give it until tonight and throw in some 05 if I see no action

I had tried the MJ British Ale Yeast and it turned out great. Bit worried about this one though :(
Issues with your membership? PM me!

LordEoin

IrishBeerSnob was the last person i saw using that yeast

Pheeel

Doing a bit more digging around it looks like it doesn't get vigorous until 72 hours (!!!) :(

IrishBeerSnob

Yeah, definitely a slow starter - specially compared to US05 that i normally use.
Slow bubbling at the moment but has definitely picked up the pace.
Wayne Dunne

Fermenting - SMaSH Amarillo West Coast IPA
Conditioning -
Drinking-

http://www.irishbeersnob.com My Blog - Irish Beer Snob

Pheeel

Cool thanks. I'll update once I get back tonight. Hopefully it's started by then!!

IrishBeerSnob

How'd you get on? Mine's much more active tonight 48hrs after pitching
Wayne Dunne

Fermenting - SMaSH Amarillo West Coast IPA
Conditioning -
Drinking-

http://www.irishbeersnob.com My Blog - Irish Beer Snob

fishjam45 (Colin)

I did 2 brews on Monday 29th December.

I added US05 to the first brew I did in the afternoon and M44 to the second brew that evening.
The US05 was popping away by the morning.  No stir from the M44 until the Thursday! I got that worried about it that I was getting a Notty Yeast ready to pitch (the only other suitable yeast I had.)

So, from my experience, M44 is very slow to take off.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Leann ull

January 14, 2015, 12:17:49 AM #7 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:30:00 AM by Leann ull
This is what 54L of American IPA, OG1.063 split across 3 batches all artificially oxygenated 1L/min for 30 Secs looks like after 12 hours in a stc controlled fermentation chamber;
From left to right US05 - Mangrove Jacks M44 - Bry97

Pheeel

This greeted me when I got home from the NCB meet last night. I guess it took 48 hours to get going

Jonnycheech

I used it for the first time about a month ago. I found it took a good few days to get going but when I say get going, it never really was fermenting like crazy, more a slow consistent ferment over a week or so. Also it finished a little higher, 1.016, than I was expecting. I'll taste it this weekend and see what it delivers on that end.
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019

TheSumOfAllBeers

That slow ferment suggests a very clean yeast. How well does it floc? I struggle to get us05 to clear well