• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 16, 2024, 06:53:47 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Spunding

Started by admin, February 21, 2013, 02:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

February 22, 2013, 08:12:30 AM #15 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:15:10 AM by brenmurph
We would all benefit from more brew days where people can have a good close look at how each other brew, what gear or lack of gear we use and how the beer tastes.
As A club we dont meet that often, my mother goes to age active 3 x week, my mate goes to GAA 4 times a week,  my brother plays golf 3 times a week....we brewers ( excluding me) meet up once a month and dont get involved enough in brewing and tasting and sharing the numerous stories, tips, tricks and ideas that makes this hobby so enjoyable and mind stimulating. I think most people know Im an experimenter, I break the rules.

I found out by trial, error and purley by practicality that brewing in secondary under its own co2 has numerous advantages not least the beer stays fresher.
And in line with ciders comment above, we can learn something new to try every day.......even if weve been brewing for 5 years. My first brew was a kwoffit Kit in 1982.yes I said nineteen eighty two.......and it went down very well indeed as the lads from work would verify every friday night

Ciderhead

I have to say that was pre NHC and I never would have taken years to come across fermenting under pressure if it wasnt for the NHC ;D

Cathal O D

I think its only if you ferment under pressure from the very beginning. The second and third "generations" (within the same batch) of this pressurised yeast will be ok but subsequent "generations" MAY be affected. If fermenting under persdure in a secondary you should be ok as this yeast has grown under normal conitions and the next few "generations" are the first under pressure.

There is also discussions about the shape of fermentors affecting the yeast. A tall narrow fermentor will have greater pressure on the bottom than a shallow wide one. This is only a potential issue at a commercial scale though. Our 20 - 50L wont create that much pressure.

Its true what you say though. An off flavour to one person is interesting and new to the next. As long as the beer tastes good........

johnrm

I love the idea, but love the simplicity of setting a pressure and so self-regulate.

johnrm

brenmurph

February 22, 2013, 07:49:08 PM #20 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:50:41 PM by brenmurph
I showed ciderhead my pressure relief from my 1982 rotakeg. A brass cylinder and piston, 1 rubber o ring and a ss spring. 30 years later still perfect still functioning, adjustable from 1-8 psi.

Whats become of the world? are we really progressing?

They changed some years ago to a stub embedded in the plastic barrel cap. The stub has a rubber band ( im sure loads of you know the one I mean). The rubber band changes its tolerance whether its room temp or out in shed in the cold, in fact when its cold  the band completly loses its elasticity and leaks all the co2 out. I also showed ciderhead that today.

Bring back the 80's and the Kwoffit Kits, they ( or the old brass pressure valves) never failed!

brenmurph

February 22, 2013, 07:56:29 PM #21 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:21:16 PM by brenmurph
Based on the principle of the Old brass rotakeg pressure release valve a simple pressure valve can be made from a piexe of plastic tube, a small plastic syringe and a weight (e.g a big steel nut) or an elastic band to act as adjustable pressure regulator.

depends whether one wants to spend a small fortune on a sophisticated device or use a simple principle of a set weight per area on a piston and the piston is driven by the pressure you want to regulate!

The modern rotakeg (plastic keg) pressure valve is simple but un reliable and ineffective, the old brass one from 1982 could not be engineered better to this day, it was impossible to break down, was failsafe by nature the only wearable part was a 10 cent o-ring and the principle was incredible simple asnd effective.

brenmurph

February 22, 2013, 08:17:06 PM #22 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:26:43 PM by brenmurph
heres a homemade pressure valve.

1 roof bolt
I small o ring
1 larger o ring
2 expansion springs
1 cable tie
I piece of 8 r 10 ml pipe in plastic or copper

Features:

simple,
effective
reliable
adjustable
cheap
easy to replace if u break it or lose it

shipping cost free!

brenmurph

and no I didnt find it on the net, its here beside me and I have a few variations of it including the syringe mentioned in earlier post

Ciderhead

February 22, 2013, 09:34:30 PM #24 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:43:37 PM by Ciderhead
ok now I feel like a right fukin idiot

When I received my gauge for my cornies to test pressure
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1359385441/13#13
one of these came with it, I didn't know what it was and threw it in the shed, all this talk of spunding got me thinking what is that?

I hooked it up to my gas and my gauge and sure enough was able to adjust it up an down to vary pressure DoooH.

Sometimes what you want is right under your nose

brenmurph

QuoteI was googling for them today...
http://www.flowsafe.com/Products/PressureReliefValves/tabid/60/Default.aspx

these seem to be half inch connectors and all high pressure regulators. 15 up to 1000psi.

what pressure do u need to regulate? I can engineer an adjustable brass PR valve for u or Tube for about a fiver. If ur still interested I can bring an example to B&C next week.

If its re this current topic then u would be seeking a 1psi up to maybe 10 psi for keg conditioning and probably higher for force carbonating but I dont thing a 15 -1000 PR valve will offer the fine adjustment and a minimum of 15 is not great. I can produce a PR range of say 1 psi up to 20 psi.

brenmurph

Quoteok now I feel like a right fukin idiot

When I received my gauge for my cornies to test pressure
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1359385441/13#13
one of these came with it, I didn't know what it was and threw it in the shed, all this talk of spunding got me thinking what is that?

I hooked it up to my gas and my gauge and sure enough was able to adjust it up an down to vary pressure DoooH.

Sometimes what you want is right under your nose

is that a flow regulator, pressure regulator or a pressure relief valve?

brenmurph

February 22, 2013, 09:52:33 PM #27 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:53:45 PM by brenmurph
QuoteWould be interested Bren, but B&C is going to be flat out. Bring it to Liffey Brewers meet and we can have a look in peace.

no worries.. wudnt like to see yis buyin and shipping a valve that prob wont work for yis. If ur goin to control pressure relief I'd suggest a short range of adjustment for accuracy.

The valve is available from any plumbing suppliers, u just change the spring to reengineer it for the range u need...for the purpose u need. I have dozens of appropriate springs. Tiny little device. Ive 6 r 7 different PR valves Ill show u some day. did u see the home made one in the pic i posted?

Ciderhead

February 22, 2013, 09:55:05 PM #28 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:59:50 PM by Ciderhead
Its one of these
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Air-Regulator-0-30-psi-2-bar-max-pressure-special-Airbrush-1-4-Bsp-ports-b617-/121040398913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c2e91ea41#ht_1275wt_1154

they screwed up my order to start with and threw it in as a sweetener and obviously I didn't realise what it was, I wouldn't pay that for it but just checked between o and 15 psi and it works fine, blowing off through the switch at the dialled pressure.
I still think I prefer your pen  ;D

brenmurph

QuoteIts one of these
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Air-Regulator-0-30-psi-2-bar-max-pressure-special-Airbrush-1-4-Bsp-ports-b617-/121040398913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c2e91ea41#ht_1275wt_1154

they screwed up my order to start with and obviously threw it in as a sweetener and obviously I didn't realise what it was, I wouldn't pay that for it but just checked between o and 15 psi and it works fine, blowing off through the switch at the dialled pressure.
I still think I prefer your pen  ;D

its actually a siphon tube section! that costs about 10 cent to make and works perfect!1- 15psi comfortably or more an if u want it on the corny keg u just attach with a small jubilee to the braided hose coming off the corny connector.