• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 09:46:29 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Help I forgot some hops in the recipe!

Started by dickvaughan, March 10, 2019, 03:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickvaughan

I recently bought my first home brew kit and decided to make it yesterday. https://brubox.co/collections/all-products/products/brubox-craft-beer-brewing-kit
Very roughly the recipe is 1kg of malted barley & wheat in 2.6L mash water then another 5L of water for batch sparging, 21g of Cascade pellet hops with 1/3rd added at 0mins, 40mins and 60mins of 60min boil time. 2/3rds of a 5g Youngs Ale yeast packet.

It took longer than I expected and my wife came home from work to a messy kitchen so I had to rush to finish. In my haste, I forgot to add some hops at the end and I overdosed on the yeast. So, I'm looking for some quick simple advice. Is it worth adding the hops to the fermentation 4.5L demijohn now or towards the end of the 2 week fermentation or not at all? I've no idea whether I'd prefer more or less hoppy aromas. The leftover hop pellets are currently in clingfilm in my freezer.

I'm all Googled out at this stage so any recommendations appreciated. Apologies for any newbe terminology errors.

irish_goat

Welcome to the forum!

The hops at the end of the boil are added mainly for aroma. I would just add these to the demijohn after 2 weeks as this will give you aroma as well. Just be sure to bottle the beer after 5 days or so. Left in longer the hops can give a grassy taste.

Don't worry about the yeast. Too much is better than too little.

Pheeel

"It took longer than I expected and my wife came home from work to a messy kitchen so I had to rush to finish"

Not a person on this forum that hasn't had this experience  ;)
Issues with your membership? PM me!

dickvaughan

Thanks, I'll follow the instructions properly next time. It will be interesting to see if I can taste the difference.
I discovered my hob extractor fan isn't up to much, there was condensation all over the kitchen units when I was boiling up. Next time I'll have to be finished good and early before my wife gets home.

nigel_c

Quote from: dickvaughan on March 10, 2019, 10:07:58 PM
I discovered my hob extractor fan isn't up to much, there was condensation all over the kitchen units when I was boiling up.

Before I got my my brew shed I reckon my kitchen walls were at least 45 IBU

pob

Quote from: nigel_c on March 11, 2019, 09:10:37 AM

#bestbeerquoteever

Tom

Quote from: pob on March 11, 2019, 10:08:56 AM

#bestbeerquoteever

Seconded!

CH

Quote from: Tom on March 11, 2019, 07:32:52 PM
Quote from: pob on March 11, 2019, 10:08:56 AM

#bestbeerquoteever

Seconded!

Willy Wonka Citra Cascade wallpaper

dickvaughan

Just to give an update on this .......I ended up with 9 bottles of IPA. To me, the beer looks good, has a nice head and is nicely carbonated. But the taste is just about ok (only a mother could love it ! ). I'm not sure how it could happen, but, 2 of the 7 bottles I've drunk so far have been very different to the others, they were really bitter/astringent/tannic. Shouldn't all the bottles taste the same? It couldn't be contamination in only 2 of the bottles?

Pheeel

Bitter, astringent and tannic are 3 diff experiences but they do get confused. I'd recommend bringing it to a homebrew meetup near you and seeing what others think
Issues with your membership? PM me!

TheSumOfAllBeers

the first and/or last bottle may have picked up more of the trub from the fermenter. This trub has its own flavour, being composed of lots of protein and hop material that the yeast dragged down to the bottom as it flocculated out.

This is what you could be tasting.

Most of the time we dont want to be drinking this, but it can be hard to avoid. For future reference, mark the first and last bottles which may have picked up more of this than the rest.