• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:09:53 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

WHC glucoamylase enzyme

Started by TheSumOfAllBeers, April 24, 2019, 04:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSumOfAllBeers

I have a problem with a pilsner I made that stalled at 1.022 (from 1.049). I have tried every trick in the book that I know of to get this to ferment further, including pitching more yeast etc. No joy, so I am going to assume that this has hit terminal and that is 22 gravity points of unfermentable sugar.

I would like to bring this down by about 8-10 points, by use of enzymes to make those sugars more fermentable. But information on how to do this in a controlled way is really lacking.

To reiterate, I am looking for an enzyme that can break down long chain sugars into more fermentable ones at room temperature/ fermentation temperature. But I dont want to dry the beer out completely.

Would something like this work?

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/whc-irish-glucoamylase-enzyme-15ml-p-4855.html

And what would its dosage requirements be, to take 55L of 22 gravity wort to 1.014 ? I dont want to overshoot obviously.

Any other useful products? Most of the literature out there assumes you are trying to dry out a kit beer that got stuck very high, or you want to make spiriits of fix starch haze in a wine.

mick02

Just beware that there is no way to control these enzymes once you've added them (short of pasteurizing the beer) so if you do add the amolayse be prepared to take your beer to 1.000. Check out the use of alpha amolayse in Brut IPAs. You might pick up some tips on how it behaves.
NHC Committee member

TheSumOfAllBeers

Yeah, I want to eye drop them in to knock a few points off, making a Brut pilsner is probably the worst possible result.

But your pasteurising comment gave me an idea- I could draw off 10L from the bottom of  the conical into a 10L growler keg, let that ferment down to zero, pasteurise/denature that in the boil kettle and then mix it back into the FV.

That would get me down to 1.018, at which point I stop screwing with it.

It's an option I guess.

DEMPSEY

Some others I know used it and it dropped to 1008 so it does work.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

CH

Have you tasted it? Does it taste like a 1022?

eanna

The WHC stuff is this https://www.erbsloeh-craft-brewing.com/en/products/detail/id/6 so the dose is miniscule, unless WHC have diluted the smaller versions for ease of dispense.

"50 – 100 mL/t of malt or 1 – 3 mL/100 L during fermentation or 2 – 4 mL/100 L in beer during maturation."

I have no idea where it would make your beer finish up.