• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:58:17 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

is it time to rack off?

Started by rje66, January 05, 2014, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rje66

juce and yeast in the DJs since nov 18 all is well so far. Its now down to about 3 single bubbles per minute. is it time to rack off and if so anything special i need to do at this stage?
thanks
richie
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Will_D

Hi Richie,

Racking can be done at various times and for various reasons:

After the main fermentation (but not stopped) rack of the lees to prevent the lees/pulp giving off flavours.

If you are after a sweet finish you can repeatedly rack off the lees to try to remove as much active yeast as possible. This MAY yeald a sweeter cider but it will not be a long term keeper.

After primary racking depending on the clarity and yourself another racking may be performed.

I know they all say that oxygen is the enemy of cider (true) but look at what some country wine makers do: Multiple rackings!

One important point after racking is to always make sure the vessel is full to the air-lock. Top up with boiled water, cider, apple juice or sterile glass marbles!

Or if its really finished fermenting - into the CO2 flushed Corny and then carb it a bit.

Mature then finish off
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

Quote from: Will_D on January 05, 2014, 07:55:57 PM
I know they all say that oxygen is the enemy of cider (true) but look at what some country wine makers do: Multiple rackings!
I rack most of my wines 3 or 4 times without any bother.
Just keep everything clean, syphon slowly and have the tube draining below the waterline to avoid a 'waterfall' and you should be good :)

Bogwoppit

I always wonder about the need for flushing with CO2.

The process of racking the cider will result in the release of a lot of the CO2 held in slolution and should easily flush the remaining space. That's how I look at it anyway and I've never had a problem myself.

Bw

rje66

thanks for replies, doing tomorrow, i presume once its back in clean djs and topped up air lock goes back on?

also when is bottling time?...........or is that a how long is a piece of string question
richie
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie