• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:07 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewing alcohol free

Started by DEMPSEY, April 10, 2019, 02:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Some time ago I heard that the big brewerys were involved with research into a new strain of yeast that can ferment a wort but not produce any alcohol. If such a yeast can become viable then the whole new world of beers that taste like beer with no alcohol would truly take hold. However try as I have I cannot find any information out there  . Anyone know anything 
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hingo

https://www.chr-hansen.com/en/food-cultures-and-enzymes/fermented-beverages/cards/article-cards/fermentation-redefined

NEER yeast. Read about it a while back, patiently waiting.

Apparently there's a small % of this type in all strains so some part of your beer is already fermenting with no alcohol by product. Think the trick is now to make it its own strain assuming there's no biological co-dependency factors etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

DEMPSEY

A technique that may work would be to produce a high temp mash and after boil to starve the wort of any oxygen and to ferment at 2 to 4 C. Anaerobic yeast growth will happen which should inhibit ethanol.

DEMPSEY

April 11, 2019, 08:21:00 PM #3 Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:03:30 PM by DEMPSEY

DEMPSEY

Will_D

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

My phone seems not to be putting up a YouTube link >:(.

DEMPSEY

Look up Athletic brewing company on YouTube.

Hingo

Quote from: Will_D on April 12, 2019, 10:06:17 AM
Why are posts 3 and 4 empty?
Works fine on Tapatalk, probably doesn't agree with the web forum

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thewicklowhopscompany

I am thinking about releasing a 'non alcoholic' yeast . There is a pair of them that do the job that I have been looking at.

Basically they can ferment fructose, glucose and sucrose but not the other constituents of the wort. If you start with a 1.023 gravity it should finish with about .5% ABV which falls technically into the non alcoholic category. Do you think this is something homebrewers would be interested in/?

delzep

I'd give that a go. Would it produce a watery beer? Your 1.023 example would only drop about 4 points to give 0.5%  abv. Would it be as simple as substitute this yeast for us05 in a simple pale ale for example?

Thewicklowhopscompany

It would be actually more on the sweeter end as there is still a lot of residual sugar unlike most not alcholic beers which can be watery. If you used the yeast in too high of a starting gravity it with will be way too  sweet due to small attenuation of the yeast and therefore the amount of sugar left behind.

delzep

So brew a beer (a pale ale for example) to about 1.018 and let it drop to about 1.014 and keg? Hmm, could be worth a try so long as the body of the beer is ok

DEMPSEY

Would like a bash at this yeast too. Liffey Brewers meet at end of month be a good place to chat about this GREAT yeast. :-*

itsclinto

Quote from: Thewicklowhopscompany on May 11, 2019, 08:00:00 PM
I am thinking about releasing a 'non alcoholic' yeast . There is a pair of them that do the job that I have been looking at.

I'd be interested in something like this also.

The high finishing gravity reminds me of Guinness' non-alcoholic ale. A bit sweet but I'm sure that comes with the yeast. Kinda wondered how they did it

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk