• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:55 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

yeast harvested from bottles

Started by Eoink, June 30, 2013, 10:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

So much for hearsay.  ;)

I'm still going to try it though.
I can take a gallon of Weiss wort from a batch and see what happens.
If its not a Hefe strain,

Blunt down here in Cork harvested from a bottle of Paulaner and has produced some very tasty clones.
This seems to disprove the 'all the major brands of wheat beer filter and then re-pitch' claim.

delzep

Quote from: irish_goat on July 04, 2013, 10:02:42 AM
Quote from: johnrm on July 03, 2013, 06:48:57 PM
I read/heard that Franziskaner don't repitch and I have a bottle at the ready to pitch into my stirplate/starter once I get it built.

As of now I do not believe there is a one-stop for this info.

I have googled and have found a few sources for some of this info, some of this is dated.
I plan to compile this into a table/spreadsheet and maintain based on personal experience and the experience of fellow brewers.
I will post this info either here or on a fresh thread.

If you have info or better again first hand experience of a then please post it here.

Thanks!

This guy tried Franziskaner yeast, to no avail. http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?2988

I wasn't aware of breweries filtering their wheat beer and then simply dumping dead yeast in for cosmetic reasons though.

Isn't it that they repitch lager yeast, not dead yeast?

irish_goat

Quote from: delzep on July 04, 2013, 11:53:36 AM
Isn't it that they repitch lager yeast, not dead yeast?

From what I've been reading the past day or so, some breweries filter and then force carbonate their wheat beer, however, since people expect the beer to have yeast at the bottom of it they add a small amount of pasteurised yeast at bottling time.

imark

I think Will_D mentioned a similar anomoly where they dosed draught clear weiss with a squirt of gunk in some train station.

I've used Duvel dregs before. Made a decent belgian blonde too. Also use flying dog wildemen and rochefort.

Jacob

Some breweries are using different yeast strains for fermentation and bottle conditioning.

Please check that Yeasts Sorted by Brewery and Beer LIST

johnrm