• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 02:46:14 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewer's Spring Kits

Started by irish_goat, September 19, 2013, 01:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

what's the code on that yeast packet?

LordEoin

Ahh ok, I was just wondering if it was the same packet :)

@geterbrewed

Young's have emailed back stating;
'Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of office all week.

The number you refer to 16010 is a batch number and not a BBE number as you thought.

As majority of Coopers Beers are Lager based,  I can only presume this is why they have gone with this yeast.'
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

LordEoin

Yeah, but their batch numbers are a julian calendar date, sometimes with  letters to distinguish different yeasts packaged on the same day.
Only the Pilsner (P) and European lager (L) come with a lager yeast.
The rest come with an ale yeast or a blend of ale/lager yeasts.

LordEoin

I just got a reply from Paul, Coopers' Technical Development Manager, Brewing Products.

he says:
"Yep, if it only carries a date code and no other letters, it's our Coopers AC yeast and has been packaged on the 160th day of 2010."

I might have a fresher sachet of this yeast at home, I'll check later and can bang it in the post.
otherwise I'd recommend a sachet of S23 fermented at 12C

LordEoin

September 26, 2013, 02:44:40 PM #35 Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:05:58 PM by LordEoin
I quite like it provided you can keep it at 12C, but there's always other strains like W-34/70

ColinC

September 26, 2013, 10:00:57 PM #36 Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:27:02 PM by LordEoin
I'll throw my name in forthis as well. And if Lord Eoin doesn't have a fresher yeast I'll post one to whoever wins too.

1 - LordEoin - I'd be more than happy to review it :)
2 - CrsZ00
3 - ColinC

<edit by LordEoin :NOTE!! RAFFLE HAS BEEN MOVED TO HERE>

LordEoin

I have a two 7g Coopers Lager yeast [P](comes with the pilsner or european kits, best at 12C) and one 7g Coopers Straight Ale Yeast [A](comes with the Irish Stout and Wheat kits, best at 20C) all in date :)

@geterbrewed

I took the feedback you guys posted up and let Young's see it, they are adament that their buyer has checked and that its a batch number.

I have just put on one of the Brewers Spring Mexican lagers and its bubbling away as we speak, looking forward to it
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

LordEoin

Aye, but their batch code is the julian date of manufacture.
I'm sure it will be fine anyway.
I've had wine yeast out of date by 3 years and it still worked perfectly fine  ;D