• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 05:11:09 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Vanilla extract

Started by googoomuck, September 12, 2013, 11:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

googoomuck

Has anyone had any success using vanilla extract in kit stouts? If so when was it added to the brew/how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

DEMPSEY

Not used it but I would say go easy with the additions. It is a very strong flavor and will quickly over power any other flavor in your beer.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

LordEoin

September 13, 2013, 05:05:31 PM #2 Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:27:35 AM by LordEoin
I've no idea how much, and I presume that different brands of extract will have different strengths so...
First of all, make sure it's not oil based. maybe consider 'dryhopping' with bits of vanilla pod.

If you're going ahead with extract, once fermentation is done, using a syringe add 1 or 2ml of extract, leave it a day and taste it.
If it needs more, add another 1 or 2 ml.
Rinse and repeat until you have what you're looking for.

Otherwise, grab a syringe and a few bottles of stout.
Test different mixtures until you find what you like.
Scale it up

@geterbrewed

I've added a vanilla pod at the start of the brew and let it stay in the brew throughout the fermentation, it added a nice touch....I haven't tried using vanilla extract
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

Metattron

In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

googoomuck

Quote from: @geterbrewed on September 18, 2013, 10:30:08 AM
I've added a vanilla pod at the start of the brew and let it stay in the brew throughout the fermentation, it added a nice touch....I haven't tried using vanilla extract
Should have done this ^^
Thanks for all the reply's lads, just gonna leave it be. Will know for the next time.

irish_goat

LordEoin

I know... I was eating some vanilla icecream when I read that  :'(

Ciderhead

September 23, 2013, 12:59:31 PM #9 Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:12:28 PM by Ciderhead
Surely vanilla extract or Beavers arse juice belongs in the food section of the forum after all thats what its there for?  ;D ;D
I want to know how this was found out, I am getting very disturbing mental images ???
Castoreum is dried and sold in bulk!

beerfly

Arse cheese might be closer  :-X

LordEoin