• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:30:39 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NHC/BJCP Beer Sensory Kit

Started by Andrew, May 19, 2016, 11:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

As discussed at the AGM, I think it would be a good idea for the NHC to have sensory kits on hand that clubs can draw on for their own sensory sessions and/or BJCP training. I would suggest a kit containing the following:

• Acetaldehyde
  • Butyric
  • Chlorophenol
  • Diacetyl
  • DMS
  • Hydrogen Sulphide
  • Isovaleric
  • Lightstruck/Mercaptan
  • Oxidisation
  • Solvent
If we want to go for a 12 capsule kit instead of a 10 capsule one, I'd probably add Ester and Phenolic. There's also scope to do an "Advanced Taster" kit that includes flavours like isoamyl acetate, ethyl hexanoate and differing hop notes (floral, citrus, grassy etc).

Thoughts?
Andrew
@beoirfinder

molc

Aectic and lactic to go with the butryic could be good, as that would mean people could isolate the three main bacterial infections in a batch, all of which point to different root causes. I'd probably swap out Mercaptan myself, simply as it's not one you really come across that commonly since people know to use brown bottles, but I could be wrong :)

The other thing that we mentioned at the AGM was maybe to get enough to do two different concentrations - one at perception level, one at blow your socks off level, just to help judges detect at normal concentrations.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Andrew

Good point- though I do like presenting the mercaptan and watching people's faces.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Leann ull

Tastes just like chicken, I mean Hein....

pob

Quote from: Andrew on May 19, 2016, 11:18:22 AM
There's also scope to do an "Advanced Taster" kit that includes flavours like isoamyl acetate, ethyl hexanoate and differing hop notes (floral, citrus, grassy etc).

Would be handy to have the first selection as a 'club' kit & maybe get the 'judging/Advanced Taster" kit for more structured training; would only need them for the BJCP type courses.

Do they have an expiry date? What's their shelf life?

12 sample kit would be good, add the Ester & Phenol.

The club kit could be at the higher concentration, so people really get the sense of it; with the advanced one as standard.

molc

I think I just can't smell skunk. Have tried straight from the capsule twice and I just don't smell anything :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Andrew

Quote from: pob on May 19, 2016, 04:13:31 PM
Do they have an expiry date? What's their shelf life?

12 sample kit would be good, add the Ester & Phenol.

The club kit could be at the higher concentration, so people really get the sense of it; with the advanced one as standard.
I think it's 2 years on the Aroxa kit- I can check later as I do have one Uno kit left at home.

Concentrations are down to how much you dilute the capsules with- I do 1 capsule per 500ml for sensory training; and then 1 capsule per 1000ml for perception training.
Andrew
@beoirfinder