• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:04:14 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Orange peel& white pepper at 60 mins?

Started by FlimFlamFlo, July 05, 2016, 04:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlimFlamFlo

Hello :-)

I have a recipe for a high gravity Saison that calls for bitter orange peel (28g) and crushed white peppercorns (1/2 tsp) at 60 mins - on a 60min boil... The lone hop addition is Northern Brewer (28g) also at 60.

I'm still learning the ropes but a lot of what I've read suggests a lot later in the boil for additions like these. I see Saisons with grains of paradise/coriander/what you will - at 5 or 10 mins. Does the 60 mins make sense?

Any advice appreciated :-)

Leann ull

I've only ever added them between 5 mins and flameout, never seen them for that long, whats the recipe?
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/05/homebrewing-how-to-brew-with-spices.html

FlimFlamFlo

Thanks CH - it's a Paul Zocco recipe from a magazine.

For 19l

6.8kg Pilsner malt
454g wheat malt
9g chocolate malt (for colour)

28g Northern brewer pellets (6.9% AAU) at 60 mins
28g dried bitter orange peel at 60 minutes
.5 tsp Chinese white pepper at 60 mins

Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Mash at 63c for 60 mins

Leann ull

ok so that 60 minutes I am guessing is at the end of your boil, does he mention a fermentation profile?
Thanks for sharing looks good in any case, interesting colour addition :).

FlimFlamFlo

Thanks again :-)

Says to pitch under 27c - at recommended temp for the strain. Ferment 18-21c
Transfer to secondary after 10 days and continue at 18-21 for 2 weeks/it's done.
10 days in the bottle to condition.

OG - 1.080    FG 1.010   ABV 8.6%

>>I've always fermented Saisons pretty high, so wondering about the temps on this.

>>The other recipes (it's a feature story listing a few Saison recipes) say things like XXXX at 60 mins, XXX at 5 mins, so I'm wondering if the 60 really means end of boil. Seems bonkers to boil peel for an hour though...

delzep

Poorly written, confusing recipe. Add the orange and pepper with 5 mins left. Pitch around 18C if you can. Ferment for 2 weeks starting at 18C and raising the temp up a degree or 2 every 2 days until you hit 27/28C is what I'd do. I reckon saison needs a fairly long time to condition. 3 months at least. Also, that FG is fairly high for a saison. Most saisons are pretty dry and finish around 1.003 - 1.007

FlimFlamFlo

Thanks both for your help. Feel a bit better about not being able to make sense of the recipe!

Am beginning to wonder if it's just a daft waste of ingredients but am drawn to it in a train smash sort of way...  :-\

Leann ull

Do it!
It's a lovely style when you get it right

delzep

I used lyles golden syrup in a saison to dry it out which worked out very well

Leann ull