• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:59:17 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Unhopped base beer

Started by brendy_éire, August 04, 2016, 01:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendy_éire

An unusual one here, which follows on from having White Hag's Púca and wondering what else can be done.

So looking to make a unhopped beer as a base for experimenting with various other ingredients.  Ideally it would be 7-8% ABV, which is sufficient enough to dilute it the same volume of another liquid and keep the alcohol at an acceptable level.
Initially, I'm thinking of simply doing brewing a double, albeit without the hops or addition of any other flavouring agents.  Bottling that, then mixing at the time of drinking.
I'd be mixing the unhopped beer with various acidic liquids, which should (in theory) be enough to balance out the sweetness of the brew.  Lemon and grapefruit juice would be the obvious ones (5L of lemon juice comes in at around €20), but will also try posca (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posca), albeit replacing the water and honey with the beer.

Anyone tried a completely unflavoured beer before?  Anything to watch out for in particular?
Or is this just all a bit too mad and I should do sours instead? :D

molc

So, never tried it, but I'd still hop to about 5IBU, just so you get the anti microbial compounds out of the hops. Give it a 2 hour boil if you want to blast off any flavour and the bitterness will be virtually non existent at that level.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

LordEoin

I made a small batch of unhopped beer once. It was plain and boring, but good to taste.
You could get your hands on some bog myrtle for bitterness. It's on my to-do list.

irish_goat

I'd hop it as well. 20L is a lot of unhopped beer too.

brendy_éire

Cheers. Threw in some old hops I'd lying around, so should be grand.