• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:22:01 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Finings

Started by irish_goat, August 12, 2016, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Quote from: molc on August 14, 2016, 09:16:41 PM
Quote from: Shanna on August 14, 2016, 09:08:19 PM
Quote from: molc on August 12, 2016, 02:09:04 PM
Quote from: irish_goat on August 12, 2016, 01:12:49 PM
I've bought the Dr.Oetker satchets as well. Was planning on using one satchet in a pint of water.

Don't mind using isinglass, tbh.
I use 1 sachet per 6 batches, same gelatin as you.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/ gives everything you'll need.
CH quoted 6/7gr. You reference 1 pack doing 6 batches. The sachets I got are 12gr what sized sachets did you get?

Shanna

Normal packets - not to hand right now. I got a box at the start of the year and I've only started my second sachet from it two batches ago. It's still more than half full.

I go religiously by http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/ Check that and come back with questions/differences but it's my process, start to end.
It quotes 1/2 spoon but no indication what a spoon is. Will split the difference & go with 4gr, can always use it to make trifle if it does not work out :)

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

Hehe I use 1/2 tsp and it seems to clear :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

1 teaspoon is supposed to be 5g
I'd say go with half a teaspoon and see how it performs

Shanna

Quote from: CH on August 14, 2016, 09:40:13 PM
Just added 1/2 teaspoon there @68C now, dropped the temp on the STC1000 to 1C. Now to leave it for two to three days to see how it clears. Hope to keg on Wednesday & force card with a view to having the first pint on Friday.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

garciaBernal

Quote from: Shanna on August 14, 2016, 10:36:24 PM
Just added 1/2 teaspoon there @68C now, dropped the temp on the STC1000 to 1C. Now to leave it for two to three days to see how it clears. Hope to keg on Wednesday & force card with a view to having the first pint on Friday.

Shanna

Well how did the first fining with gelatin experiment turn out?
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

DEMPSEY

I added 5 grams,one kitchen scale teaspoon full to a cask ale I have brewed about 3 days ago so will let yis know how I get on in a week or two.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Shanna

Quote from: garciaBernal on August 25, 2016, 10:46:35 AM
Quote from: Shanna on August 14, 2016, 10:36:24 PM

Shanna

Well how did the first fining with gelatin experiment turn out?
Only had a small glass so far but was reasonably happy with it as it pretty clear. Dropping the fridge to 1C did not work. It only caused a massive build up of ice inside the fridge & the temp stuck @3C. Eventually I put it back up 4C.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Leann ull

If you put a 12v computer fan in the fridge it will continue to chill and no ice. Also bring your fridge to temp quickly saving elec.

Normally I just leave in fridge in secondary or keg and forget about it for 2 months, and have used pro finings and A and B "quik clear" also in past.

Using gelatin 6g and 1/4 pint for 30 secs in an 800w microwave got me to 68.
Backwash with co2 from tank and a gentle swirl as I understand you should avoid swirling onto Krausen.

This was her unchilled

Chilled 4 degrees 24hrs, normally I go a week, not a lot tbh

but you can just make out the shelf at the back, let's see what the finings do which were chucked in tonight

Drum

Is that the Galaxy pils with M54 CH? very interested to see how that turns out

Leann ull

Yep might make a "Boy Racer" out of it yet, deffo a first for me, pics in a glass in a week

Leann ull

August 26, 2016, 08:45:48 AM #40 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:57:29 AM by CH
Quote from: CH on August 25, 2016, 09:37:46 PM
If you put a 12v computer fan in the fridge it will continue to chill and no ice. Also bring your fridge to temp quickly saving elec.

Oh Bollox checking it this morning I just made a Beer Mr Freeze weird as only mid section frooze   :-[

It won't do it any harm but does show you how cold you can get a fridge with a fan  :D

molc

Beer slushies! I just fine and ramp down to 3 fir 3 days then package. It's pretty clear going in and really clear when it comes to serving.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

irish_goat

Is that the fridge at 4c?

Leann ull

It is a new fridge with a dial 1-5, I set it at 4 but the fan with wind chill was obviously getting the compressor to stay on.
I just measured and its 1 Degree at coldest point and I turrned fridge off a couple of hours ago. Stc to go in it at the weekend!

Shanna

Quote from: CH on August 25, 2016, 09:37:46 PM

Normally I just leave in fridge in secondary or keg and forget about it for 2 months, and have used pro finings and A and B "quik clear" also in past.

Using gelatin 6g and 1/4 pint for 30 secs in an 800w microwave got me to 68.
Backwash with co2 from tank and a gentle swirl as I understand you should avoid swirling onto Krausen.

This was her unchilled

Chilled 4 degrees 24hrs, normally I go a week, not a lot tbh

but you can just make out the shelf at the back, let's see what the finings do which were chucked in tonight

Fridge was bought second hand but looked almost new when I got it. It also has two twelve volt DC computer fans in already. Fridge is set @5.5 of 7 dial. Set the STC @4C. I suspect part of the problem is I taped the STC temp probe to the side of the keg & it might be feckin up the reading.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer