• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 02:15:51 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

State of the craft beer market in Ireland

Started by TheSumOfAllBeers, June 21, 2017, 12:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: mr hoppy on June 21, 2017, 09:49:02 PM
Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on June 21, 2017, 12:40:02 AM
Style descriptions can be applied haphazardly with little regard for similarity for the archetypical examples.

Whatever about the other points here, this is wide of the mark. The BJCP guidelines put it best when they say:
<snip>

I am not talking about BJCP. It's why I used "archetypical examples" ie the commercial examples most associated with the style.

phynes1

Quote from: armedcor on June 21, 2017, 11:24:07 PM
+1 on the meh beers I'd say a good 70% of the time when I try an Irish Ipa I'm disappointed.

I agree, very few good pale ales being produced here. Galway Bay are knocking outstanding pale ales consistently, definitely my favorite brewery for pale ales.

PH

KDeath

Quote from: irish_goat on June 21, 2017, 07:14:41 PM
Quote from: johnrm on June 21, 2017, 04:39:38 PM
Anyone brave enough to start a shit list?

Stationworks
Five Lamps
Clearsky
Irishtown Brewing Co

Gonna throw in Mel's & Black Donkey to this.

phynes1

Black Donkey - Sheep Stealer is in my top 5 Irish beers.

PH

helmet

Quote from: garciaBernal on June 21, 2017, 04:04:56 PM
8 Degrees, Kinnegar and O Brother are all of a high standard too. I'd lob in Blacks also.
Recently had a bottle of Black's Black IPA, a beer I loved, it ain't what it used to be!

Slev

Mels for their brown ale
Blacks for their rocket ship ipa
O haras for their Leann follain
White gypsy for their Belgian
Yellowbelly for their pa.
But still looking for a go to pale ale

irish_goat

Quote from: Slev on June 22, 2017, 09:49:22 AMBut still looking for a go to pale ale

White Hag Little Fawn would be the best pale ale on the market for me.

Andrew

Quote from: irish_goat on June 22, 2017, 10:48:34 AM
Quote from: Slev on June 22, 2017, 09:49:22 AMBut still looking for a go to pale ale

White Hag Little Fawn would be the best pale ale on the market for me.
Definitely- and Yellowbelly's Citra Pale Ale
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Keg

Quote from: phynes1 on June 22, 2017, 09:30:28 AM
Black Donkey - Sheep Stealer is in my top 5 Irish beers.
Maybe it should be a shit list by style (roughly, not bjcp). E.g. I'm really not a fan of Sheep Stealer, but I don't like Saisons at all so it would be pointless me trashing it when it could be the best Saison ever.

... Maybe there should be a 'shit-styles' list (runs for cover).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

imark

One man's shit is another man's gold. Anyway, isn't this problem already solved by ratebeer, untappd etc?

DEMPSEY

I am never hung up on styles, if a beer is brewed well then that's all I expect. Problem is some of them are brewed poorly and instead of excepting this and look to improve they seem to continue doing it again and again. I think packaging is where most fall down on.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Slev

And we should be mindful, that the livelihoods of folk could be affected. So a shitty list could be quite unfair.

cruiscinlan

June 22, 2017, 07:47:26 PM #27 Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:59:54 PM by cruiscinlan
Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on June 21, 2017, 12:40:02 AM

Does anyone know if a curated Good Beer Guide for Irish beer? The Irish market seems especially crazy - a lot of little guys trying their hand, macro beer mutton dressed as lamb, and quite a few bandwagon operations trying to cash in on an uneducated beer market.

I have tried quite a few over the last 10 days, and wasn't expecting the "meh" count to be as high as it was.

Not interested in starting a flame war here.

Amen to that.

There's also a third category of small brewed under license operations, that aren't craft but aren't macro either, Kenmare are an example of that.

Bru
Oharas
8 degrees
Metalman
Bo bristle
Carrig
Wicklow wolf
JJ's
Connemara
Galway Hooker
Dungarven
Porterhouse
White Gypsy
Jack Cody
Hope
Mountain Man
Black Sheep

All make poor, boring or inconsistent beers. Some make one good beer, which only makes the rest of the range incongruous.

Paul B

Though there's obviously way worse, I think a lot here are taken in by yellowbellys shiny marketing. They've done a lot of subpar beers; mostly on tap, the stuff that makes it to cans is more serviceable. Nice guys and improving constantly, but a shining beacon of quality on the Irish beer scene? Not in this drinkers humble opinion.

mr hoppy

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on June 22, 2017, 01:04:24 AM
I am not talking about BJCP. It's why I used "archetypical examples" ie the commercial examples most associated with the style.

I know you didn't and I didn't say you that you did either.  My point was that the BJCP has the good sense to recognise that commercial brewers don't brew to style (howsoever defined), and we should follow their lead in this.

I'd be really interested to hear you expand on your concept of "archetypal examples".