• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:31:57 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Harvest

Started by rebel, August 22, 2017, 03:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

I have a hop plant with about 50 cones on it. When should I harvest ?

delzep

Post a photo. 50 cones isn't really a lot

Taf

Mine are flowering, but nowhere near forming cones at this stage.

imark

Mine aren't far off being ready. Good harvest this year with f-all input

Taf

Just had a look at mine again, and there are small cones forming alright, but nothing like the above. Rebels might be further on too, as likely mordant sheltered than mine, plus mind are totally neglected, and just growing wild really.

krockett

Chinook:

Centennial:

Cascade:

Chinook cones are huge again and most advanced, and Cascade tiny. Not sure whats causing this. Its my first time growing Centennial  - its very vigorous but cones small so far.

auralabuse

What do you do when its harvesting time?, do ya need to dry it or anything before it can be used?

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

imark

You can use them freshly picked to do a 'wet hop' or 'fresh hop' beer or alternatively harvest and dry them for storage to use throughout the year.
I use all mine fresh because it's the only way I can do a fresh hopped beer. A seasonal treat.

auralabuse

Interesting, think I shall be planting some when the next planting window opens :)

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

eoghanr

Quote from: imark on August 24, 2017, 07:12:33 PM
Mine aren't far off being ready. Good harvest this year with f-all input

Those look amazing! What variety is that? I have a first year crop of Cascade this year and it's a sorry sight I must say. How do you manage to keep the aphids away? Mine are infested.

imark

That's fuggles and the first year they were poor also but they took off after that when they'd established themselves a bit.
I don't do much to maintain it but I was plagued with aphids before and nothing worked better than getting some ladybirds and letting them loose. They demolished the aphids and seem to have hung around each year since.