• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:53:55 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Growing hops in pots

Started by Water_Wolf, April 23, 2018, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Water_Wolf

It's a bit late in the year but I have ordered some Prima Donna hop rhizomes from Willingham Nurseries which I hope to plant in pots in my garden. Has anyone experience of growing these in pots? I have an old fish box which I was thinking of using as a planter - it's wide but only about 50cm deep so I may need to get something deeper. I'll be putting them in a good sunny location.

I'm also getting one Centennial rhizome which is probably a bit over ambitious!

Simon_

Yes I did it the first year I had hops and had them grow from a large pot (~40L) up a line I dropped from the gutter. It was really impressive seeing them grow at such a fast pace because all my other plants were growing over the garden wall and were hindered by not being able to grow straight  up for 20 plus feet.
But then they died off really quickly just before you'd expect to harvest them. Might have been rectified by watering or feeding better but those are problems I've never had growing them in open ground.

Water_Wolf

Well Prima Donna should only be growing two to three metres high so will hopefully be more managable! I'm going to make some kind of trellis out of bamboo cane and jute string.

Maybe I'll try dangling a piece of string out of an upstairs window for the centennial just to see what happens. Not sure what the neighbours or landlord might think!