• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:32:24 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Capital Brewers Stout & Dark Ale Homebrew competition

Started by Dr Brown Ale, June 28, 2019, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonnycheech

Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019

benji

Quote from: Boycott on September 15, 2019, 09:53:18 AM
What's the idea behind not allowing fliptop bottles?

I never seen the point myself, sure for the nationals that makes sense but not for the club comps. We've ran our competitions with no restrictions on bottles (Midlands BTW) and never had any issue and indeed nobody has every brought it up
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

CH

September 28, 2019, 04:04:31 PM #17 Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:17:48 PM by CH
Even with a small 40 entry comp that's 80 bottles and 8 crates stacked in a commercial venue/pub fridge.
In the standard crates they just stand over the height  and I remember in 14 and 15 nationals (400 entries) flip tops were popped off in handling but quickly resealed.

More critically they can be easily identified if there are only a few of them in a comp which is unfair to judges and other entrants.

The big comps in the US specify the bottle style and in Sweden in some comps all have to come from the same source!
To me that makes a lot of sense as it's only the beer that is the differentiator.

For big flip top users I don't see the problem to be honest if you think they are good enough for comps to cap a few

For niche big beer or small comps I'd accept anything though.

delzep

Can you clarify the various dates for this. Seems to be different dates for registration closing dates on this thread and on the competition website which would affect the drop off dates too

onesoma

Will be bringing my entry bottles along to Brewcon. Cheers!

CH

Quote from: onesoma on October 01, 2019, 11:53:37 AM
Will be bringing my entry bottles along to Brewcon. Cheers!

Has somebody agreed to take them as it's nothing to do with the organisers of Brewcon?

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: delzep on September 30, 2019, 10:59:10 PM
Can you clarify the various dates for this. Seems to be different dates for registration closing dates on this thread and on the competition website which would affect the drop off dates too

I'm taking it as drop off closes at Brewcon?

Some clarification at this point would be appreciated lads, thanks.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Dr Brown Ale

I'll take entires at BrewCon, but I'll be carrying them home in a bag, and not guaranteeing fridge storage until the comp.

I'll take drop offs to my house whenever, up to the weekend before the comp, if you can organise via your local rep that would be great.

SlugTrap

Quote from: Boycott on September 15, 2019, 09:53:18 AM
What's the idea behind not allowing fliptop bottles?
Quote from: CH on September 28, 2019, 04:04:31 PM
Even with a small 40 entry comp that's 80 bottles and 8 crates stacked in a commercial venue/pub fridge.
In the standard crates they just stand over the height  and I remember in 14 and 15 nationals (400 entries) flip tops were popped off in handling but quickly resealed.

More critically they can be easily identified if there are only a few of them in a comp which is unfair to judges and other entrants.

If those reasons aren't enough, how about "practice"?

Every year the bottle requirements are the same for Nationals:

• 500ml
  • Brown glass
  • Crown cap
  • No labels, embossed glass or distinguishing marks
  • Labels on with elastic bands - not tape, not glue

... and every year we disqualify entries for not following them.

The more people see these, the better they'll remember them.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: Beechlawn Brewing on October 02, 2019, 12:28:42 PM
I'll take entires at BrewCon, but I'll be carrying them home in a bag, and not guaranteeing fridge storage until the comp.

I'll take drop offs to my house whenever, up to the weekend before the comp, if you can organise via your local rep that would be great.

We won't be dropping entries off at Brewcon so, we'll get them to you another way.  It'd be a disservice to the time and effort put in by entrants to have their entries carried around in a bag and stored warm.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

nigel_c

I can take in any North county drop offs and arrange something with Des as I'm not too far from him. Actually aren't you technically in the north county Des?   :P
Quote from: Beechlawn Brewing on October 02, 2019, 12:28:42 PM

Dr Brown Ale

Blueshed

I can collect for anyone in Co Meath, I'm also working in Ballycoolin D11 if that suits anyone to drop beers for the comp.

nigel_c

Quote from: Beechlawn Brewing on October 03, 2019, 01:55:08 PM
Finglas is most certainly not NoCoDu
Don't know why but I always thought you were in Coolock.

johnrm

I forgot to leave me bottles with capital brewers yesterday in Rascals.
I remembered when city centre and left these in Sweetmans.
Could someone collect for me please?
The bottles are in Adams Cubby.
Let me know please.
I can pay Revolut or PayPal.
Thanks