• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 10:52:39 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

40 L of NEIPA out of a 30L Grainfather

Started by stevosan, October 29, 2020, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevosan

Episode 2 of my 4 part adventure of maximising production and minimising brewing time! (And not buying a bigger system!). Also allows me to brew session beers which I like brewing but find not worth the time if just making 20 Litres batches.

Part 1: 40 Litres of 5.0 % ABV American Wheat Ale - good beer - see previous post here
Part 2: 40 Litres of 5.9 % ABV NEIPA using a mix of all grain with top up of extract to hit 44 Litres pre-fermentation volume , aiming to fill 2 corny keys
Part 3: Belgian Single x 2 - coming up
Part 4: Red IPA x 2 - coming up

The basic strategy is to double all speciality grains, and replace the base malts with extract for the double batch. This is a tried and tested recipe for me and is best drunk fresh!

Batch Size: 44 Litres
Total Grain: 6.61kg
Anticipated OG: 1.055
ABV: 5.9%
IBU's - 56
Wort Boil Time: 75 mins

Ingredients:
4.1 kg Pale Malt
0.90 kg - UK Golden Promise
0.9 kg - Flaked Wheat
0.7 kg - Flaked Oats
2.8kg - Extra Pale Malt Extract  (added to the boil)

Hops:

12.9 AAU Amarillo hops 84 g at 8.6% alpha acids - add first wort hops or at start of boil - 75 mins.
86 g Amarillo® hops (0 min.)
56 g  Citra hops (hop stand) - add at 80C
56 g Galaxy hops (hop stand) - add at 80C
56 g Mosaic hops (hop stand) - add at 80C
168 g Citra hops (dry hop)
86 g Galaxy hops (dry hop)
86 g Mosaic hops (dry hop)

Yeast: I have tried various - my favourite is White Labs WLP067 Coastal Haze Ale Yeast Blend Yeast
The Irish yeast WHC Sanders is also good.

Mash the 6.6 kg grain in 21 litres as per normal grainfather ratios.
Prep 32 litres of sparge water - having about 20 Litres of it at sparge temp of 75C and the rest cooled for adding to the fermenter directly later.

I try to get around 28 Litres into the grainfather and start the boil. Then I add the extract - carefully - as boil overs are very easy with extract in such a full vessel.

Once I have the 75 min boil done, I add the 0 min hops, then wait till it cools down to 80C and then I add the 80C hops (what I do for hop stand hops). I use a hop spider for all my hops as the grainfather doesnt pump well with too much hops in it and I for some reason I am useless or lazy at whirlpooling.
I then start to pump the wort through the chiller to the fermenters and get about 12 litres in both. I then top these up with the remaining water to get 21 litres in each fermenter.

Somehow I never have enough prepared water so i usually end up topping up with a 5 Litre bottled water also so have a few of those handy.

On day 3 of fermentation I chuck about half of the dry hops directly into the fermenter once its just passed peak fermentation. I like to use whole hops for this part.

I then use a filter when siphoning my wort out of the fermenter into the keg after about day 7 to 10. (I use a corny keg filter - place the siphon inside the hop filter).

I then use these corny key filters for dry hops in the keg.

For water additions, Randy Mosher recommends using more calcium chloride than gypsum for this type of beer. (he says Gypsum better for IPA's but he uses 66%/33% ratio calcium chloride / Gypusm for NEIPA's so will try that next time).
For south Dublin Dun Laoghaire water I used 8g gypsum / 2g baking soda.

For anyone who liked this recipe or just in general -  Appreciate if you could check out my homebrewing app I have been working on over the lockdown period - still in beta mode !
www.koolship.com
Its mobile ready and is a fun way to show your beer set up and brewing exploits to friends and groups. Similar to strava for those who like their cycling.
It's just an easy way to track the progress of an individual beer from start to finish while recording comments and photos.
Appreciate any constructive comments by PM and I'll possibly set up a whats app group also as I would love to get a few beta users! I'd like to avoid comments on the app here on this thread thanks.

DEMPSEY

Dissolved Oxygen D.O. is a big issue for NEIPA style beers so working on how you get your dry hop in without adding D.O. is a good thing to do.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

pob

I used this water addition for an NEIPA that I was very happy with, lovely soft mouthfeel, used WHC Juice Machine which worked great too, really allowed hops to shine through.

Have you got the DL water profile? . Here's Bray's water profile as a comparison

stevosan

Quote from: DEMPSEY on October 29, 2020, 07:44:33 PMDissolved Oxygen D.O. is a big issue for NEIPA style beers so working on how you get your dry hop in without adding D.O. is a good thing to do.

Any tips Dempsey?
For now all I do is flush everything with CO2 when opening / transferring etc.

stevosan

Quote from: pob on October 29, 2020, 08:12:23 PMI used this water addition for an NEIPA that I was very happy with, lovely soft mouthfeel, used WHC Juice Machine which worked great too, really allowed hops to shine through.

Have you got the DL water profile? . Here's Bray's water profile as a comparison

For DL water I am using this - need to get my water checked one of these days..

Calcium (ppm) 20
Magnesium (ppm) 1.5
Alkalinity as CaCO3 32
Sulfate (ppm) 35
Chloride (ppm) 25
Sodium (ppm) 12

your additions are spot on there as per Randy Mosher 2:1 ratio of Calcium Chloride: Gypsum

DEMPSEY

Saw one guy trickle co2 up through the fermenter to create a positive push of co2 as they put in the hops.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us