• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 16, 2024, 01:49:29 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NCB Barrel Project 2

Started by nigel_c, October 30, 2013, 02:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rats

Guys I think you should exclude me from this brew.I had to mix crystals to get the grams that I needed.I did not had 80 only 113 and 250. Had to mix so my EBC is about 15-18 units more than it should be.
Sorry for that.
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

Partridge9

Don't be silly - a little crystal in there will be completely unnoticed - its a 200 litre batch !

Partridge9

Quote from: ratsathome on November 07, 2013, 09:20:52 PM
Planing on doing my brew tomorrow and was looking at Nigel's post.

Barleywine Recipe.
23L Batch size
OG 1.091
IBU 104.8

So Just finished up -

Came in at 1089 but its a 26litre batch - went a little heavy on the sparging.

Advice to anyone doing it -

Start dissolving the LME - as soon as your bittering hops go in - took me a good 20 minutes to do it - with pots - washing tins etc.
What I didn't allow for was the time to boil the LME in the pot prior to adding it to the boiler.

If you put mine and Wills together we have the perfect OG and 50+ litres !! (thanks Will -for pushing my numbers up !!)

Now, the braumesiter isn't even cooled now - time to put on a hefeweizen !

ColmR

I brewed last night. Gravity was spot on. But I reckon I'll be lucky to get 20L out of it. Brew day went fine, but it was a late one...

nigel_c

Brewing today. Will post results later.

ColMack

Brewed this morning. 22L (approx) at 1.093. Happy enough. Only disaster was breaking my thermometer, luckily it was after mashing.

nigel_c

nigel_c

Right so brew is all done. Came in with 23L 1.090
So lets get a list going of OG's and volumes

Will 25 L - 1.092
Partridge9 26 L - 1.089
ColmR 20 L - 1.091
ColMack 22 L - 1.093
Nigel 23 L - 1.090

Total Volume so far... 116 L      (Please update as you post your details)

Looks like its all going to plan so far.

PS Ratsathome ... GET BREWING. The LME looks darker than what i had calculated for so feck it. Its a lovely rich color already so a it will hardly be noticeable in the final brew. 

nigel_c

So today's brew day went well except i should have checked my ingredients before I started to brew. Came up short on about 1Kg of marris otter so subbed in for 750g lager 250g vienna. Should be the same.
I had about 10g of centennial over after i took the dry hop addition out so i added them in at the 5 min addition.  Smells and tastes pretty good. lovely and bitter.

My phone is in an unnamed phone warehouse the last 2 weeks being "repaired" so I've no shots. could someone please get photos for a write up and a review for our sponsor.

Jacob

Brewing now. Taking pics as well to document it :)

Jacob

Oh man! Just opened a bag of Apollo. Can't remember when had so aromatic hops last time.
Sound like I've have to perform a small experiment soon ... all Vienna IPA single hopped with Apollo!!!

nigel_c

24 hours in and i had to fit a blow off pipe. And clean the walls. It exploded about 2 ft up out of the airlock. Its a nice healthy fermentation at least.

Jacob

Ok job done.
Here are few pics from the brew day.

nigel_c

Good stuff Jacob.
What was your final Vol and OG?

BrianC

Hi lads got brew done came in a little low OG.
1.046 28l after mash and 1.085 24L after boil and LME.

Will 25 L - 1.092
Partridge9 26 L - 1.089
ColmR 20 L - 1.091
ColMack 22 L - 1.093
Nigel 23 L - 1.090
BrianC 24L- 1.085