• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:56:52 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Whirpool hop addition question!!

Started by Gugs44, November 13, 2013, 10:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugs44

Hi Lads

Brew day saturday and am using Citra and Cascade hops for my IPA.
Am just curious has any used this technique? I am confused on the issue of hop addition after flame out using this technique as I would usually try and get the temp down as soon as possible for pitching yeast. Would it be ok to do this for 10mins before adding my wort chiller, I really wanna get a good hoppy taste so that is why I am keen to try this, I will also dry hop for 8 days.

Also would you add both hops at start of boil or just the citra??

Cheers and any info greatly appreciated

irish_goat

There's no problem adding them at flameout, even if you're chilling fast the hops as still going to be in contact with very hot water plus they'll steep a little while you're whirlpooling.

Can you post your recipe up? I've never used Citra for the start of the boil, mainly because of how expensive it is compared to other varieties.

Ciderhead

IG this is one I did at the start of the summer, I was paranoid about grassy flavours and only DH for 6 days the cascade came up and fell off quite quickly. If I was doing it again I would have at flameout.

Recipe: Citra Cascade IPA
Brewer: John
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.75 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 12.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 59.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)         Grain         1        76.9 %       
1.00 kg               Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)        Grain         2        15.4 %       
0.25 kg               Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)             Grain         3        3.8 %         
0.25 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC)    Grain         4        3.8 %         
25.00 g               Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           5        26.8 IBUs     
14.00 g               Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min          Hop           6        13.8 IBUs     
14.00 g               Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min          Hop           7        11.5 IBUs     
14.00 g               Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min          Hop           8        7.4 IBUs     
1.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)        Fining        9        -             
14.00 g               Citra [11.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min    Hop           10       0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         11       -             
25.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days     Hop           12       0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.50 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time           
Mash In           Add 14.95 l of water at 72.5 C          64.4 C        75 min               

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (5.93l, 14.38l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:
------

biertourist

Couple of issues here. 

If you're using pale malt as a basemalt rapid chilling probably isn't as important; if Pilsner malt or a very low colored basemalt is used DMS formation can become an issue with long stands at high temps.  The solution is to chill to 60C as quickly as possible and THEN do a "hop stand" -leave the hops there for 15 minutes, then start your whirlpool, then let the whirlpool settle for another 10.   This will give you less isomerization than a near-boiling hop stand but gets you hoppy late kettle additions without the DMS risk.

Chill in there anywhere but leave the hops at 60C for at least 15 minutes to get decent oil extraction.

Adam