• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:28:05 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel ~ Oud Bruin ~ The Recipe

Started by admin, November 16, 2013, 11:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imark

My hydrometer is glass and I don't add back samples to fermentor so they'd be fine to use again.
Really, it's bucket, bung, air lock, syphon and paddle and in my case the turkey baster I use to take samples.

mcgrath

Quote from: imark on January 05, 2014, 03:13:19 PM
Just want to check if all you guys are willing to use a sour mix to ferment? I may have a culture for Oud Bruin that would make this 'epic!'

It means sacrificing a bucket and any other plastic that comes in contact to the church of sour though. Feelings on this?
I'm ok with that..

imark

Quote from: iTube on January 06, 2014, 11:15:52 AM
I'll do whatever it is required!

I have a siphon I was about to bin anyway!

Don't be falling into the 'it's a sour so any ol infected shite will be fine' camp! If it's in bad shape dont use it. We only want the appropriate cultures after all.

imark

If you're doing your homework on Oud Bruin in advance of the epic barrel project you should familiarise yourself with this elegant lady!

lordstilton

imark

Drinkstore.ie - I think the LC is getting some in for us too.

imark

Eoin

I have a Wyeast lambic blend smack pack at home that is about three years old. I smacked it recently for the crack to see if there was anything still alive in it. It took about 3 weeks to blow up, but the pack is like a balloon now since it's been sitting in the kitchen so long. I'm considering using it to sour a beer shortly after doing a primary of normal yeast.

I was a little surprised that it was still able to take off after all this time.

imark

Quote from: Eoin on January 20, 2014, 11:42:52 AM
I have a Wyeast lambic blend smack pack at home that is about three years old. I smacked it recently for the crack to see if there was anything still alive in it. It took about 3 weeks to blow up, but the pack is like a balloon now since it's been sitting in the kitchen so long. I'm considering using it to sour a beer shortly after doing a primary of normal yeast.

I was a little surprised that it was still able to take off after all this time.
Hardy bucks! Wonder how the ratio of various constituents stood up. I'd guess you wouldn't have the same result if you used it?

Eoin

Well the Brewers yeast would be long gone but I suspect the other bugs are alive and kicking. Considering that the blend is supposed to start a primary on yeast and slide into a buggy secondary from one blend, I think if I started on yeast then pitched this the results would be very similar.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Seeing as the style came on someone else's say I'd say they should come up with the bones of a recipe.

Sent from my HTC One

imark

Ok guys just to bring everybody up to speed on where this has been at...I have been trying to organise the purchase of a specific culture for our oud bruin barrel. Unfortunately, it has been quite a slow process but we have a decision point on Thursday. If at that point we don't have an agreed cost and delivery date, we will revert to a more easily arranged culture. Thanks for your patience.  :-[

as regards the recipe...I think the one on first post is a good starting point. If there are suggested amendments that will benefit this recipe lets fire them up on the thread over the next couple of days.

Eoin

Does the style ever make use of Turbid mashing?

Sent from my HTC One

imark

Hadn't even considered it Eoin. Got an idea?

In other news...positive response on the culture...we could be going sour into primary!  8)