• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:03:23 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hop pellets and OG

Started by SlugTrap, January 21, 2014, 02:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlugTrap

First all-pellet IPA brewed on Saturday; I hadn't realized quite how much they dissolve into mud.

There seemed to be so much veggie matter in the wort, in fact, that even after straining it threw off my OG readings - I ended up with a number much higher that I should have for the amount of malt gone in.

Anyone else ever hear of this problem? What's the workaround?

irish_goat

Using a hop bag is one way of containing the problem at least. CH posted up a hop filter a while ago that looks the business, might put it on the list of things to buy next.

What did you use to strain it?

nigel_c

I've been using pellets a lot more recently and it took a bit of getting used to. With the sample for OG I just let the sample drop clean and adjust my hydrometer reading after. Normally 30 mins or so. They also make saving yeast a bit if a pain. A lot more washing of yeast or move to top cropping if I need to save the yeast.

Still though I do like the ease of pellets. May invest in a hop blocker next. Designed for pellets specially.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/blichmann-boilermaker-hopblocker-2995-p.asp

Eoin

Make yourself a bag out of a piece of voile curtain, that should solve your issue.

Hop Bomb

I bought the hop blocker & returned it next day after reading the reviews online (should have read before buying). Its the worst product blichmann make apparently.

The stainless hop spider CH got is worth the money. If you recirc you can do so into that & leave all the break material in that. Yank it out before transfer & in theory you'll have very clear wort.

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-Spider-with-seam-welds_p_158.html  (ive a dry hopper from these guys - excellent quality)

Or the cheapo DIY non shiny route is to bag your hops or make a diy hop spider.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

SlugTrap

Thanks for the input, folks.

I'll investigate these methods before I try pellets again.