• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:39:37 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Gauging interest in another BJCP exam in Sept or Oct

Started by admin, February 15, 2014, 11:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

February 15, 2014, 11:29:16 AM Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:45:08 AM by Tube's Beer Kit
Just gauging interest in another BJCP tasting course and/or exam. You don't need to be a full member of the NHC to take the BJCP exam.

Option 1: 6 day training course with sensory training and group feedback. Exam fees are included in the cost. (€290)
Option 2: Just the BJCP tasting exam itself. (You need to pay for and pass the online exam first, at $10)(€40)
Please don't vote if you've no interest!

Will_D

I think a lot will depend on the outcome of the first tasting course (for us who have already done it)

I am sure that most who have done the training will probably just resit the exam.

I would suggest that we who have sat the exam don't update the poll just yet.

Leave this thread initially for newcomers.

Comments?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Sorcerers Apprentice

A couple of newbie questions re the training course
Is it 6 consecutive days or are they spaced out ?
How long does each training session take?
Does the training cover beer styles or is it faults eg acetaldehyde Butyric etc?
Where does the training take place?
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Rossa

I'm not feeling as confident as I did so I could be one of those resits.

Damien M

I wanted to attend the last training course but all day Saturdays are hard to plan/organise (for me).

Would an weekday evening course type format be a runner. Probably mean less time per session (pun intended) and thus higher frequency 10 maybe 12 but may lead to higher attendance and accessibility.  Maybe get a college to but it on an evening classes sylabus. And before the 'non Dublin' residents get upity. A number of suitable distributed locations could be chosen.

An evening course could be a real option and would get Joe/Jane Public involved in this fine craft beer revolution.

Oh! And deffo doing the next BJCP exam!!!

Will_D

A couple of newbie questions re the training course:#

Is it 6 consecutive days or are they spaced out ?
A:  Last time we held one about every month (started in June and finished in January

How long does each training session take?
A: Typically 3 hours or so

Does the training cover beer styles or is it faults eg acetaldehyde Butyric etc?
A: Most days are spent tasting the beers, you score them, discuss them and compare your experiences with each other and also with Gordon Strongs views (where available).

One day was given over to the Siebel Sensory training course :-[

Where does the training take place?
A:  Last course was held in a friendly pub on Saturday mornimgs from about 10 till 1pm in central Dublin.

Sorcerers Apprentice

I can think of worse ways of spending a Saturday morning  ::)

Sorcerers Apprentice

Stick me down for a slot for the exam, I'll be away until the end of August and so may miss a few classes

Partridge9

johnrm

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, some may have to repeat...
Should I get in now? :O

matthewdick23

im thinking of doin a bjcp course up in belfast. so there could be a group up here that would come down for the exam

Dunkel

Dunno. Have to wait until the results come out, but I'm looking for at least a 70 to get a Certified qualification. Ideally like to get an 80 in order to go for National Judge, and be able to take the written exam. But it's gonna be a long 3+ months wait ...  :(

Will_D

Remember: To sit the written exam you need 80% on the tasting exam and a minimum of 10 judging points. The written exam is to certify National and Higher grades.

This is not overly clear in all the documentation! ( Too much, some out of date, some hard to find etc)

Also it's at variance with Scott's experience ( he who came from Poland). He had 80% in both exams but lacked 1 judging  experience point to get his "National" qualification. Maybe his was a "legacy" sort of progression!

Naturally the NHC and the Liffey Valley club( O0) ensured he got 1.5 points!

I think when we actually get our BJCP membership numbers, we can then get onto the BJCP fora and ask a few pertinent questions!

Will_D

I am sure the Swords Pavillions brewing ofshoot a.k.a.:

"The Old Boro's Old Boys of the North County Gentlemans Brewing Club" now called TOBOBotNCGBC for short will be arranging a BJCP sanctioned posh brew off type comp! Oiks may be allowed to enter ???

C'mmon ye other shopping centres! :)

delzep

Quote from: Tube's Beer Kit on February 16, 2014, 10:27:06 PM
We are a long way off having national judges, but this is why Northside Shopping Centre and other shopping centres need to organise more sanctioned competitions. Liffey Valley will probably have another one before the year is out, but yet the other shopping centres need to step up.

do you really need to encourage him?  ::)