• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 01:10:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

GCB August Competition

Started by Ciderhead, February 27, 2014, 02:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

February 27, 2014, 02:13:41 PM Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:38:34 PM by CH
Watching with interest what a great job is being done by other clubs we intend on having our own competition in August of this year.

Unlike other comps however we are going to be only judging just one style, Irish Red.

It's been chosen as  it's relatively easy to brew and should be able to be brewed by all abilities.

In BJCP terms also it's a neglected style and after the nationals we will put more detail as to what we think the standard for the competition will be.

We want to make this a members only competition and entry will be a fiver.
It will be national and drop points will be arranged across the country, just not as many as the nationals ;)
There are some pretty good prizes but all that will be announced later.

We need your input on where you think the goalposts should be, so please don't hold back in your contribution both good and bad.

irish_goat

Sounds good! Love me a good Irish redhead.

nigel_c

Love the ideas of a one style competition. We were talking about it over in the NCB camp at our last meeting.

johnrm

Wots WCB again?

I think the Rebel County should do an all-stout.
Seeing as the most flavoursome stouts come from 53°N

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

With a single style limit, it will not be possibly to register as a BJCP competition right?
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Ciderhead

Interesting point not sure, I'm sure one of our trainee judges will tell us?

Sanctioned Competition Requirements

The BJCP has few rules that apply to a competition. Organizers have wide latitude to create a unique competition experience. However, the following rules do apply to all competitions:
1. Blind tasting must be used. Judges must not be given the identity of the brewer or entrant.
2. Entries must be judged to published styles. The BJCP Style Guidelines are the preferred standard, but any other published guidelines can be used as long as judges and entrants are both using the same guidelines.
3. Feedback must be given to the brewer or entrant. The BJCP judging forms are recommended, but not mandatory. Scoresheets must be returned promptly to the entrants.
4. Judging must be fair to all entrants. Common rules must be used, and they must be applied and enforced uniformly. This is an intentionally loose definition that allows competitions to have their own unique character without being overly proscriptive. Competitions must be run in a spirit of fairness. The Sanctioned Competition Handbook and Judge Procedures Manual should be used as a guide.
5. Competition reports must be filed promptly with the BJCP, preferably using the BJCP organizer reporting system. Competitions not filing organizer reports may be denied registration for subsequent competitions.
6. A judging panel must have a minimum of two judges and a maximum of four judges, including any Novice judges or judges in training.
7. The BJCP Privacy Policy must be followed, particularly for judge data furnished by the BJCP to competition organizers. Data furnished by the BJCP may only be used in accordance with the BJCP Privacy Policy. It may only be used for purposes of running the registered competition, and it may not be used for non-BJCP purposes or be shared with third parties.

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Saw that but someone told me it needed to be open to all styles.
We need as many bjcp competitions as we can and fast track some judges to national level if possible.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

johnrm

What if you held the nationals and all that was submitted was one style?
One style works in my book.

Ciderhead

Well we are not opening to everything as we want to keep it as simple as possible so if we can help our BJCP judges on their path, great and that was one of our intentions, if not it will just be the Red Ale Garden Comp.

Will_D

I think that as soon as we get our BJCP membership numbers we can then ask exacyly this sort of question.

But Why would a single category comp NOT be eligible? Makes no sense to me!

I have seen no such restriction. BJCP comps can be public or private and can even be used to judge commercial beers!

The important criteria are as set out above ie. Fairness, Objectivity and Accuracy
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

March 13, 2014, 08:37:58 AM #11 Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:29:42 PM by CH
Ok folks I have chopped the BJCP guidelines and as you can see its reasonably open

We will take 60 beers Max.

Countrywide, collection points tba.

The competition will only be open to full NHC or full Beoir members and entry form will ask you for username.

Kits will be allowed but you must state it on your entry, please use your initiative and mod mod mod there are plenty of guidelines on the kit section on how to do this.

2 X 500ML or bigger bottles only please.

Winners will be required to share their recipe on the forum including method after the comp to educate others on how to brew good Irish Red.

Prizes to be announced after Nationals and are sponsored, its not cash but we are going disproportionately big to encourage entries to this single style comp.

One prize per entrant, so if you brew 3 award winning beers you get 1st prize and 2nd place awarded to next in Q and so on.

The competition must be self financing and credible so entry will be €5, any monies made after nominal costs will be donated to NHC central fund.

Judging looks like Sat 23rd of August. Plan on having your beer available mid August latest.

For the luvies that need to know what their inspiration is,
"Throw you mind back 200 years, you have just been given the job as head brewer in a Kilkenny Brewery, they have their own recipes but they are not great and too watery and thin, you have little or no hops available but the entire malt spectrum(ok historically probably not correct)
Use your skill to create something to satisfy the taste buds of farm labourers that is thirst quenching but also has body and flavour making them want to come back for more."

9D. Irish Red Ale

Aroma: Any
Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color.
Flavor: Hops should be the minor contributor. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range.Clean and smooth, No esters.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, Moderate carbonation. Smooth.

Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint.

Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager

Ingredients: Any

Vital Statistics: ABV: 4.0 – 6.0%

Thoughts please + or - ?

irish_goat

Looks good! Much better guidelines for a modern Irish red.

Ciderhead

Cheers IG, anybody else have any input? We want to be as inclusive as possible.

AJ_Rowley

Not big up on the whole bjcp guidelines but if someone was to enter this and say there was more hops to it in terms if flavour and arina would it be disqualified? As it doesn't fit perfectly to style?