• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 09:32:04 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Disaster of a brewday

Started by jackflash, December 02, 2014, 09:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackflash

Bought a Hbc irish red ale extract kit and brewed up on Saturday.

Everything had gone well right up until I went to transfer the wort from the brew kettle into the wort chiller, and the tube got jammed with hops. The bazooka screen in the kettle had come off while I was stirring during the boil, doh!

So in a state of panic, I poured the contents of the brew kettle (hops and all) into the fermenter and cooled over night. I pitched the yeast and all was well.

The next day the airlock was happily burping  away. I decided to open the fermenter to take a look, and all the hops had come to the surface.

Now here's my question; I used a sanitised spoon to remove most but not all of the hops. I took what I think was alot of yeast with it. Will the beer be alright do you think? Will the yeast recover and multiply??

DEMPSEY

If you had a spare pack of yeast then throw it in but if not then all should be OK as long as you did not remove too much. Lack of enough yeast  can cause the existing yeast to stress out a bit trying to make babies. I mean you would be a little knackered if you were seeding more wimmen than you could handle ??? :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

jackflash

Wouldn't mind trying though ;-)

jackflash

Should I rack after a week to get the beer away from the hops? Don't want to get off flavours etc.

DEMPSEY

jackflash

Nice one. Thanks for the advice

Chris

I made an extract golden ale a few years back where I did exactly the same thing. After a few days when fermentation  had slowed I racked the beer into a secondary filtering out the hops. Fermentation finished in the secondary and all was well. It is still the best beer I've ever made and I've never been able to replicate it.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

jackflash

Chris that's a relief to hear! There's hope for me yet! What way did you filter out the hops while transferring? I'm thinking of putting the bazooka screen from my kettle over the tube, and dropping that into FV2.

Chris

Exactly what I did, I did loose a good few litres in the transfer as the hops had soaked up quite a bit of liquid.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

Bubbles

Quote from: jackflash on December 02, 2014, 10:05:24 PM
Should I rack after a week to get the beer away from the hops? Don't want to get off flavours etc.

I'd be more worried about off flavours caused by racking off the yeast too soon. Rack after a week as long as fermentation is mostly finished. Though in fairness, it should be finished at that stage.

jackflash

Another question! I'm gonna rack to secondary after about 5 days in primary to second fv (plastic bucket). I'm heading off on the 16th for a week, will the beer be alright in plastic secondary for three weeks before bottling?

DEMPSEY

jackflash

Sweet, thought I would need to get glass carboy.