• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:10:36 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Keg Charger From Aliexpress.

Started by Greg2013, February 16, 2015, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Arrived  this morning just under three weeks after shipping, 7.00 euro with free shipping as opposed to 30 euro average elsewhere(and that is for the 8 gram version).This one takes the 16 gram bulbs,i only have the 8 gram but i have a way around that ;D

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CO2-Cornelius-Keg-Charger-Homebrewing-New/32217974660.html
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

armedcor

Nice I was just looking at those today. Let us know how it goes!

Greg2013

Quote from: armedcor on February 16, 2015, 02:57:36 PM
Nice I was just looking at those today. Let us know how it goes!

I will NP,hoping to get a couple of the carb caps off aliexpress as well,trying to reduce the brew gear footprint in the house atm.Either way this could be a very handy little device as backup to my main co2 tanks,also using this it means i can use my small fridge to gas and crash chill a single keg. ;D

Allright i admit it i just like new toys and at that price sure it would be rude not to  :P
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

I had another look at this today and now i am wondering if it will take the un-threaded bulbs at all ? It definitely will take the threaded bulbs bu i think i am going to have to sacrifice a couple of un-threaded bulbs i have here to find out,if it doesn't accept them it will be a pity as one of the things i wanted this for was to dispense beer with the nitro bulbs from the HBS and they are all un-threaded,i have not seen nitro bulbs yet with threads. :(

Will_D

Just be careful when doing this. Wear thick gloves else you may get a nasty freeze burn from the CO2 cartridge venting uncontrollably. [-78C IIRC is dry ice temp!]
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Quote from: Will_D on February 19, 2015, 09:40:21 PM
Just be careful when doing this. Wear thick gloves else you may get a nasty freeze burn from the CO2 cartridge venting uncontrollably. [-78C IIRC is dry ice temp!]

Cheers Will yes for the threaded bulbs this comes with the cage as can be seen from the pic,however in either case i have a neoprene sleeve for handling any co2 bulbs to prevent co2 burn,nasty thing that if you are not careful,appreciate the warning for any others that may be watching the thread ;D

Bugsyboy

Greg
I have one of these chargers.
Does it work with the unthreaded bulbs? I don't seem to be able to get it to, but its new to me.
Where can you get appropriate threaded bulbs.
Thanks
Paul

Greg2013

Quote from: Bugsyboy on December 02, 2015, 07:25:30 PM
Greg
I have one of these chargers.
Does it work with the unthreaded bulbs? I don't seem to be able to get it to, but its new to me.
Where can you get appropriate threaded bulbs.
Thanks
Paul

You can't get them here that's the problem,afaik the keg chargers sold here are exactly the same as this one and are  also designed for threaded bulbs(not sure) but the only bulbs sold by HBS here are unthreaded for some reason. It will work just about with the unthreaded bulbs but tbh it's a pita and you lose a lot of Co2 when putting in a fresh bulb as there is no thread to seal it before its punctured.

There are places in UK that sell threaded bulbs for tyre inflators and paintball guns and although the C02 is food grade the production of the bulb itself may not be. The unthreaded bulbs also have a habit of getting stuck in the threads and that could lead to issues down the road.

In short yes it will work with the unthreaded bulbs,however a delicate touch is required,i found turning the whole thing upside down,then gently lower the cage with bulb in until tip of bulb is just sitting on the pin,then screw down cage,once you feel it start to bite the quicker you get it threaded the better as you will leak co2.

ferg

Having maaaaddd hassle with one of these this weekend. Got some threaded bulbs alright but every time I connect it to the keg the keg is leaking co2 out through the brass part that screws on the charger side.

Is the co2 pressure in the keg too high that it's not equalising with the bulb? Should I vent the keg a bit before trying again? I don't seem to be able the tighten the brass part on to the charger, it just spins.

I got a slight spurt of co2 when I was installing the cartridge I would der could the seals on the brass part have ruptured??

Leann ull

I don't rate them they are temperamental , I have one and it's not great.
I'm sure they aren't threaded tanks though
You sure that co2 is food grade as ones for tyre inflation they use oils in the production of the cylinder.
Invest in a small tank and a reg at some stage.

Greg2013

Quote from: ferg on April 30, 2016, 12:45:30 PM
Having maaaaddd hassle with one of these this weekend. Got some threaded bulbs alright but every time I connect it to the keg the keg is leaking co2 out through the brass part that screws on the charger side.

Is the co2 pressure in the keg too high that it's not equalising with the bulb? Should I vent the keg a bit before trying again? I don't seem to be able the tighten the brass part on to the charger, it just spins.

I got a slight spurt of co2 when I was installing the cartridge I would der could the seals on the brass part have ruptured??

Throw up a pic of where you are having the issue. I still have mine but i rarely use it anymore as i have two co2 tanks and regs,this was only ever a stanbdby for me and taken in that context it is handy,however not reliable for long term use as CH said.  ;D;D