• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 06:16:48 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sweet White Wine.

Started by Greg2013, March 06, 2013, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Ok i am looking for a wine kit that will produce a sweet white wine of good quality. Its for some relations and they prefer the wine on the sweet side ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

14 views and no answers lads? ::)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

you need to use brand new buckets for wine, you cannot use beer buckets and vice versa, the australian blend are ok and good to cut your teeth on

Greg2013

Thanks ciderhead will not be doing it for a while anyway.

Will_D

QuoteOk i am looking for a wine kit that will produce a sweet white wine of good quality. Its for some relations and they prefer the wine on the sweet side ;D

Buy a kit that says "Sweet White Wine" there will be some sweetners in there that will not be fermented away.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Indeed Tube thats probably what i will end up doing. Those wine kits are so expensive at average 40 euro for a good one. For what i want it for its a bit on the steep side but still for the right one i would.

LordEoin

I did the same with lidl apple juice and it turned out quite sweet. appledrop-ish and deceptively strong  ;)

Col

Easy White/Wine Number 1
1L Apple juice (not from concentrate)
1L White grape juice (ditto)
700g White sugar
1 tsp Nutrient
1 tsp Citric Acid
GP yeast

Dissolve sugar in 1L boiling water, cool, add to DJ along with everything else, top up to shoulder with cooled, boiled water. Top up when the initial ferment dies down, and ferment out. Rack off the sediment, and add camden tablet and half teaspoon of potassium sorbate. You can add finings after three days, or leave to clear au naturel. Then you can sweeten with sugar to whatever sweetness you want (1.000 on the hydrometer is usually enough), and sweeten further with a teaspoon of glycerine. The glycerine gives it a lovely 'Mouthfeel' as well. All for about 3 yoyos a gallon.

So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.

Will_D

Sorry Col but your numbers don't add up!

Cheapest Lidl/Aldi Juice ( apple or grape(white graper only found in Aldi) ) is about a 1€  a litre.

To get juice from fresh fruit is way more expensive!

A gallon is 4.5 L so we are looking at like 5€ a gallon! (Using Lidl/Aldi juice)

Or am I missing something??

Damo

March 24, 2013, 10:22:15 PM #9 Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:31:57 PM by Damian
Will

I think col's reciepe is based on 2l of juice per finished Gallon of wine.
Based on WOW'S method

Grape juice from tesco E1.09

I've done 3 batches to date:

White grape/peach and Orange juice
Red grape and apple

Both of which are tasting better by the day!

Current one is birch sap and white grape.(still fermenting)

I cant recommend this method highly enough based on results so far :)

Will_D

Depending on the gravity of the juice from the cartons I add between 250 and 450 gms sugar per gallon of juice. I do not add water!

Damo

fair point!

However, Wow's recipies are based on 1L &1L and topped up with water.

This is where the 700g of sugar comes in.

Col

Yes Damo, you have that right. Sometimes, less is more with juice wines - I make lots (probably too much!) of both WOW and Easy White, and I'd vouch for both of them.
And nursing our scars.

Col

And replacing the AJ with Tropicana is also popular - I have 2 gallons of that on, but haven't tasted it yet.
And nursing our scars.

Stitch

Quoteyou need to use brand new buckets for wine, you cannot use beer buckets and vice versa, the australian blend are ok and good to cut your teeth on

Why would you need to use new buckets??? Surely if you wash the beer bucket very well it should be ok???