• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 13, 2024, 05:10:55 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Malted Crème brûlée

Started by dcalnan, September 07, 2015, 03:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcalnan

September 07, 2015, 03:46:58 PM Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:21:26 PM by dcalnan
I was making crème brûlées last week, and had the idea of adding some malt to the cream and milk and kinda do it like steeping grains. So I put 100g of pilsner malt that I had, into the mixture of cream and milk and kept it around 65 degrees for 20 mins, it had a really nice malt flavour at this stage, I might play around with adding more malt and longer times. But here's the recipe I tried out.

1 litre double cream
250 ml milk
Vanilla bean pod sliced in half/paste
100g any pale malt crushed
8 egg yolks (make meringues with the whites)
50g castor sugar

So heat the cream and milk on a low/medium heat to 65 degrees,  add the crushed malt and vanilla bean and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally. After 20 mins strain the cream and milk into a saucepan, and bring that to a boil on low/medium heat. Have the oven preheated to 150degrees fan assisted. Also try a spoonfuls of the pale malt it'll be like a creamy malty porridge.

Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar till it turns lighter in colour, then slowly pour in some of the cream while continuously whisking. Then when it's all combined pour the mixture into ramekins set out in a roasting tray, put the tray into the oven and fill the tray with water till its around 2/3 of the way up the side of the ramekins. And then bake them for 30mins, if not done by 30 bake till they're set fully on top but still wobble underneath. Take them out to cool, and then place in fridge overnight.

Then on the day sprinkle some brown sugar over the tops and heat them with a blowtorch or under the grill.

And enjoy.

Eoin

That's a creme brulee you're making....but sounds nice anyway.
A creme caramel has a load of caramel in the ramekin, but it's almost the same thing.

dcalnan

I got confused myself, ill change the title thanks

johnrm

Herself made a coffee creme brulee a while back, really really good.