• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 14, 2024, 06:12:23 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Winter Beer competition [Discussion]

Started by Shane Phelan, September 25, 2013, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Jacoby

So are we going for Tuesday 3rd December for the Winter Warmer comp? Does anyone object to limiting the ABV to 7%?

It looks like the theme is shaping up to cover weighty beers of the dark, brooding, soulful variety; possibly spicy, probably roasty, definitely malty. A beer to warm the cockles of your heart on a cold winter's night.

Looking forward to this one!

Every little helps

Shane Phelan

The 3rd makes sense to me anyway, any later and it will just be too busy.
Brew Log

baphomite51

id like to enter this but iv got a tripel in the fermentor and i think its gonna be 9% :/

Dr Jacoby

I sat down and had a good luck at the calendar and realised we would be putting ourselves under pressure if we aimed to run the comp on the 3rd of December. How about postponing until the last Tuesday in January and maybe lifting the ABV limit? That should keep everyone happy and give people enough time to brew something substantial and let it mature etc. I still think we should avoid entering massive beers (RISs etc.) mainly for practical reasons. We can always hold a big beer comp some other time, but if people want to lift all restrictions that's cool.

The comp could be a good testing ground for beers that people plan to submit to the Nationals.

Opinions?
Every little helps