• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:09 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"Flour" in Wort/FV

Started by MisterBurns, March 24, 2014, 05:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterBurns

Did a brew yesterday and adjusted my mill to crush a bit finer as my efficiency was low (63%/65%) on my last two batches. I use the BIAB method using  a CustomBIAB bag so good quality material. This time with the finer crushed grains I achieved a respectable 76% efficiency however there seemed to be an awful lot of "flour" type substance that escaped the bag so made it through the boil and into the Primary FV.

My question is will this have impacted the beer (Marzen) and should I leave it in the Primary during initial fermentation (10/14 days) rather than risking oxidation at this early stage? Or should I just rack it off to another FV now?

Has anyone else has this problem and if so what have they done to avoid it in future brews without losing the efficiency gained from the finer crush?

RichC

MB, I had a lot of scorching on my element and poor efficiency too(BIABer also). Turned out I was getting poor conversion due to a water issue. Do an iodine test and see if you've a conversion issue. Your efficiency shouldn't be that poor on a normal crush

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Eoin

Best you can do is to let the cold break settle properly for an hour with a lid on post boil.

DEMPSEY

Very surprised that by crushing finer help in your BIAB. Biggest issue I would have thought would be the ability to rinse the grains in the bag as some bags might be too full for the water to be able to rinse.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

RichC

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 25, 2014, 10:47:35 AM
Very surprised that by crushing finer help in your BIAB. Biggest issue I would have thought would be the ability to rinse the grains in the bag as some bags might be too full for the water to be able to rinse.
a proper BIAB bag should be the size of the pot so it should never restrict the flow around the grain

Eoin

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 25, 2014, 10:47:35 AM

I don't sparge or rinse..... I squeeze. It works fine that way too.

Contrary to common opinion, it's not a good idea to have a bag so big that you can fit your vessel into it. Best is a tapered bag. Otherwise when you pull the wet bag the grain makes a plug in the vessel and gets jammed. I've had this happen before I redesigned the bags with a taper to avoid this.

Sent from my HTC One