• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:01 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

new to the game

Started by crusty, May 22, 2021, 11:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusty

Hi All,  based near Ennis in Clare.  Just started and have just bottled 40 pints of red ale from a kit this evening, looking forward to drinking that in a few weeks.  Want to try and get setup for all grain but have another kit bought Mangrove Jacks Craft Series Helles Lager for the next batch, any advice welcome.

DEMPSEY

Welcome to the club. A Helles will need temperature control so a second hand fridge be handy
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

crusty

Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 23, 2021, 02:50:39 PMWelcome to the club. A Helles will need temperature control so a second hand fridge be handy
Thanks - I am searching for a fridge and and Ink Bird.  I have a electric heat belt for the fermentor - hopefully that will be enough

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: crusty on May 23, 2021, 06:57:31 PM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 23, 2021, 02:50:39 PMWelcome to the club. A Helles will need temperature control so a second hand fridge be handy
Thanks - I am searching for a fridge and and Ink Bird.  I have a electric heat belt for the fermentor - hopefully that will be enough

While heating has its place, you dont need it fermenting indoors. its cooling that is important.

That said, the MJ Helles kit used a 'california common' yeast strain - a lager yeast noted for its tolerance of high (~18C temperatures).

Also, checkout the limerick brewers brewing community. They have a large footprint, with members in Clare, and Tipperary.

crusty

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on May 23, 2021, 09:03:26 PM
Quote from: crusty on May 23, 2021, 06:57:31 PM

While heating has its place, you dont need it fermenting indoors. its cooling that is important.

That said, the MJ Helles kit used a 'california common' yeast strain - a lager yeast noted for its tolerance of high (~18C temperatures).

Also, checkout the limerick brewers brewing community. They have a large footprint, with members in Clare, and Tipperary.
Thanks for the help - checking out the Limerick community

LordEoin

QuoteWhile heating has its place, you dont need it fermenting indoors. its cooling that is important.
Depends on the location. Indoor temperatures fluctuate, so a brew belt can be super handy for avoiding a temperature dip each night. Once you can maintain a consistent temperature you can kick out decent beers by just selecting a yeast that'll do well at that temperature.
Like if you live in an ungodly hot house.. M29 o clock! And Coopers kits are designed for Aussies, so their yeasts are generally quite tolerant.

crusty

Quote from: LordEoin on May 24, 2021, 01:00:16 PM
QuoteWhile heating has its place, you dont need it fermenting indoors. its cooling that is important.
Depends on the location. Indoor temperatures fluctuate, so a brew belt can be super handy for avoiding a temperature dip each night. Once you can maintain a consistent temperature you can kick out decent beers by just selecting a yeast that'll do well at that temperature.
Like if you live in an ungodly hot house.. M29 o clock! And Coopers kits are designed for Aussies, so their yeasts are generally quite tolerant.
thank you.  everyone is advising putting effort into temperature control in fermentation so that is where I am going to focus.