• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 03:14:19 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

A question of freshness?

Started by Smallbeer, January 22, 2017, 01:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallbeer

Hi Guys,

Last year I bought a craft range Czech pilsener.
It had date of 06/16, life got in the way and it still sits on my shelf.

Question... go ahead and brew it, swap out some ingredients, or bin it.

Comments and answers on a post card please.

Thanks in advance

oconn

at best fresh yeast... or you could fire it on and repitch a yeast if needed ?

Leann ull

Never gonna be great, but worth a punt with fresh yeast

LordEoin

I agree. Some fresh yeast and of you go. What's the worst that can happen?

nigel_c

Some nice dress saaz will add a bit of freshness into it if it's not great. Dry hopped.

WaterWolf

I have a similar question. I have a HBC all grain stout kit that my girlfriend got over a year ago but hasn't got around to making yet. No BB date on it. I imagine it won't be at its best anymore, but do you think it will at least still be decent?

pob

Quote from: WaterWolf on January 24, 2017, 12:40:21 PM
I have a similar question. I have a HBC all grain stout kit that my girlfriend got over a year ago but hasn't got around to making yet. No BB date on it. I imagine it won't be at its best anymore, but do you think it will at least still be decent?

Well past it, if the grain has been crushed & you've not kept the hops in a freezer & the yeast in the fridge.

Crushed grain should be really be used up within a couple of weeks at max (most people would say a day or two for true freshness). If the hops haven't been stored correctly & as the kit it's over a year old, they're probably 2014 or earlier hops, they're past it as well.

Yeast should have a Use By/BB date on it? needs to be stored in a cool, dark place.

Leann ull

Quote from: WaterWolf on January 24, 2017, 12:40:21 PM

Birds will love it this time of the year

Macy

Found an old bitter kit that I never did when I dusted off the equipment, I think a couple of years past best before. I've taken on board a lot of the advice I've read here, and what google has thrown up, and going to chance it as the next brew anyway! The tin seems to be ok, so I ordered a new yeast and East Kent Golding bruphoria finishing hops to dry hop.

I won't be too upset if it doesn't come up to much - I'll just treat it as another practice of my technique, as first brew back didn't go that smoothly to be honest (but gravity reading samples are nice!).

Leann ull

Kits are worth a punt grain on the other hand🤢

Smallbeer

Thanks for the feedback.
Reckon I'll stick it on this weekend.
I have 100g of saaz hops unopened, dry hop it as advised ( is 100g enough/too much)
The kit came with 20 g of larger yeast, should I pitch a new top notch yeast( suggestions welcome) as well or on its own?

Sorry for all the questions.

Leann ull

You could use Nottingham at lower temps say 17, or cal common ale yeast, again on the low side, not too low on temp side or yeast will go dormant , if you use mangrove jacks you need two packs
I'd be reluctant to recommend proper lager yeast unless you have temp control
Probably go 50g on the saaz for 3-4 days max

Smallbeer

Thanks CH, the 100 was going in 😀.
I have a controlled chamber, so I can try a premium lager yeast.

Leann ull

Take a small sip after the 3 or 4 days you can always chuck in the extra 50 for another 3 or 4 days.
If you have a chamber go for it.

Smallbeer

And your suggestion for yeast..... feed me Seymour, feed me  :D