• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:47 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dry hop removal?

Started by SureLook, January 20, 2021, 07:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SureLook

I'm part way through the below recipe and the gravity has hit 1.014 i.e. time to dry hop. I've added the hops in a bag this evening. Question is do I leave them in until fermentation is complete (approx. 11 more days) or whip the bag out after 4 days as per the recipe? I've heard of grassy notes etc. when leaving hops in too long. Thoughts?

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/bale-hard-dry-hopped-saison/
Wee County Brewers - Small County, Big Beers!

Qs

You are better off waiting for fermentation to finish and then adding the hops IMO. 4 days is loads, 2 would be enough really. If you are at 1.014 already you also probably wont have another 11 days of fermentation.

SureLook

Usually I would wait for fermentation to subside and dry hops 3-5 days before bottling (when brewing IPAs/APAs) but this recipe called for dry hopping on a specific day so I went for that.

Given this beer should finish at 1.007 there's not too much fermenting left, however, I think the fermentation time of 16 days is for the yeast to impart some flavours into the beer (particular to saisons as far as I'm aware).

Suppose I'll wait and see and make a judgement call in the next few days!

Wee County Brewers - Small County, Big Beers!

DEMPSEY

Dry hopping impact happens quickly so 2 days is plenty time for dry hopping.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us