• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:38 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

DIY Beer Bottle Crate

Started by Garry, March 29, 2013, 03:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry

March 29, 2013, 03:06:42 PM Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:36:31 PM by Garry
I'm going to try make up some bottle crates this weekend. I've seen loads of different examples on the interweb and I've come up with a nice simple design. The crates will be stackable too.

I did a spread sheet to work out the cut lengths and it allows me to change the size of the crate and materials used for future crates.

Enjoy :)

The yellow fields in the spread sheet are editable.

Ninja edit: I've made a slight modification to the spreadsheet, it was only calculating the quantity of the floor boards for 1 crate  :-[

Revision 3; Uploaded on 30/03/2013 - Dividers Added  :)

Ciderhead

Please post pics of assembly or a few of the finished crate thnx

Rossa

Would you do an article for the front page on it? take lots of pics and writes itself.

MrChalky

I've been planning on making a slightly modified version of this, but stackable.

I'd be interested to see how yours turn out.

Garry

March 29, 2013, 06:05:27 PM #4 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:25:38 PM by Garry
My bottles vary from 65mm diameter up to 75mm so for 24 bottles I used internal dimensions of 305x478.

I got some 119x14 skirting board so the moldings might look a bit funny?

1. Cut the timber as per the cut list.

2. Fix the blue boards to the red boards. I used ø3x25 screws but you can use nails or glue. Leave the top blue board down the thickness of the floor board (yellow). You need 2 of these per crate.

3. Stand your blue/red frames up and fix them together with the green boards. The green boards should be flush with the top and bottom of the red boards.

4. Turn the crate upside down and fix the floor boards (yellow). Leave 1mm clearance all round to make them easier to stack.

That's it! I've just tried it with empty bottles and they are a bit wobbly! Some dividers would be good. I might make some out of thick cardboard.

Garry

Could one of the mods let me know how to place the images in between the paragraphs please?  :-[

delzep

1. Cut the timber as per the cut list.

2. Fix the blue boards to the red boards. I used ø3x25 screws but you can use nails or glue. Leave the top blue board down the thickness of the floor board (yellow). You need 2 of these per crate.

3. Stand your blue/red frames up and fix them together with the green boards. The green boards should be flush with the top and bottom of the red boards.

4. Turn the crate upside down and fix the floor boards (yellow). Leave 1mm clearance all round to make them easier to stack.

That's it! I've just tried it with empty bottles and they are a bit wobbly! Some dividers would be good. I might make some out of thick cardboard.

Good job by the way [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Padraic

March 29, 2013, 07:04:04 PM #7 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:04:57 PM by Padraic
Looks great Garry, and a gold star for the excel spreadsheet!

Garry

March 29, 2013, 07:10:30 PM #8 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:12:23 PM by Garry
@delzep, thanks for putting that together. From your post I've figured out how to get the images between the paragraphs using:

[img]http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/IMAGENAME.***[/img]

But the attachments all show up again at the end of the post, how did you hide them?

Ciderhead

Cracking job, now I know what to do with spare skirting in the garage :)

delzep

Don't attach them using the feature on this forum. Upload your photos to an external site like www.imgur.com and copy and paste the url from there...makes things easier

Garry

QuoteDon't attach them using the feature on this forum. Upload your photos to an external site like www.imgur.com and copy and paste the url from there...makes things easier

Got it! Cheers  [smiley=beer.gif]

Will_D

Problem with using photo hosting sites is that sometimes they move things around. All the "site" links work for your folders but the old "externally accessable" links no longer work/exist.

Just a heads up thats all!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shanna

Hi there

Any chance you would post the speadsheet with the calculations?

Declan
I did a spread sheet to work out the cut lengths and it allows me to change the size of the crate and materials used for future

The yellow fields in the spread sheet are editable.

Ninja edit: I've made a slight modification to the spreadsheet, it was only calculating the quantity of the floor boards for 1 crate  :-[
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Will_D

March 29, 2013, 10:05:03 PM #14 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:06:42 PM by Will_D
Shanna, If you look at the original post (the first one in this thread) at the end of the post is the attatchment spread sheet!!

Beer_Crate.xls
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing