• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:50:04 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

DIY Beer Bottle Crate

Started by Garry, March 29, 2013, 03:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Small screen on my phone and our eye sight combine to make me miss the icons for the file.  Ta fire the heads up Will.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Rats

Thanks Garry will be using your .xls in the future.
Been using a few of them for my bottles.They hold 26 "Erdinger" style bottles and 18 standard wine bottles.
Here are a few ideas I found on the net.Might be helpful.
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

Garry

QuoteHere are a few ideas I found on the net.Might be helpful.

Those plywood boxes look tasty alright. They'd keep the light away from the bottles too. Might be a bit of a push for my woodworking skills though! I love birch plywood but it's very expensive  >:(

I never tought of using archive boxes, I've got a few packs of those in the office. They'll do next time I'm stuck  :)

I'd like to make a little 6-pack holder too but it won't look anything like the ones you posted. Function over form  ;D

I tried out the crates last night with full bottles and I'm happy with them. It's nice to be able to lift up 24 full glass bottles without worrying about the arse falling out of the box!

Damo

Thats a crackin job Garry.

I like the idea of those dividers in the plywood crate, I wonder could you adapt your design.

I think they'd make things easier to move half full crates without botles goin flying everywhere.

Garry

March 30, 2013, 01:48:22 PM #19 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:41:23 AM by Garry
I've succumbed to peer pressure  :P and added a new tab to the spreadsheet for calculating dimensions for dividers.

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=296.0;attach=97

1. I used some 5mm thick cardboard. Mark it out as per drawing on the dividers tab of the spreadsheet and cut with a craft knife.

2. Slot all the pieces together and put it into the crate.

I must say that they do make a big difference. The bottles are nice and tight in the crate and the glass ones aren't rattling off each other when you move the crate.  8-)

irish_goat

March 30, 2013, 02:04:07 PM #20 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:04:36 PM by irishgoat
If anyone is e near the B&C anytime I could give you those cardboard dividers, we get a few boxes every week that have them. I'm sure other craft beer pubs would oblige as well.

Garry

March 30, 2013, 02:41:55 PM #21 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:42:18 PM by Garry
QuoteIf anyone is e near the B&C anytime I could give you those cardboard dividers, we get a few boxes every week that have them. I'm sure other craft beer pubs would oblige as well.

Good thinking! I might try my local off-licence for some spares and build a few crates to suit them. Do 500ml bottles typically come in 24 no. or 20 no. per box?

CARA

All the German 500ml we stock come in boxes of 20
Upa Sesh

Shane Phelan

Garry's guide is now up on the Wiki.

Thanks again Garry for this!
Brew Log

Will_D

Gary,

Well done, thats an excellent write up and "automation" as well.

Anyone who combines excel spread sheets with a table saw deserves maximum Kudos!!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Rats

I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

tomas30ie

Just found this awesome post, but unfortunately the link to the spreadsheet is down.

If you could re-post the link that would be great, but if you don't have the file for whatever reason I'll give it a go with the info in the post and hope for the best.

Either way it's a great DIY design!   :)

Garry

Hi Tomas, the speadsheet link doesn't appear to be working in the wiki article? But it does still work on the first post.

PM me your email if you still can't download it. I'll send it to you.

tomas30ie

Quote from: Garry on October 23, 2014, 07:06:25 AM
Hi Tomas, the speadsheet link doesn't appear to be working in the wiki article? But it does still work on the first post.

PM me your email if you still can't download it. I'll send it to you.

Thanks Garry, I actually tried the two links yesterday and they wouldn't open, but I've had to mess around with my routers firewall settings today because I've been having issues ever since I had to re-do my port forwarding & Long story short... I was able to download the spreadsheets there a few min's ago!

Cheers anyway, it's much appreciated! :D