• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:23 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best time to harvest locally grown hops

Started by IPAJack64, September 05, 2021, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IPAJack64

Hello,
I'm new to your Waterford / Copper Coast Brewers club, I'm based in New Ross.  Anyway, I decided to grow some Centennial hops this spring.  As it's the first year, I am unsure if these are ready, or do I wait another week?

Many thanks,
-Jack

Tom

Open one up and see if it's full of yellow sticky powder (lupulin). Between that being full and the tips of the hop cones going brown, iirc.

IPAJack64

Thanks Tom.  Given that there is very little yellow, and the aroma is fant, I think I need to wait a bit longer. 
Question, given that Ireland is around 53 degrees latitude, I'm wondering if it is normal to harvest hops in late to end of September? 
Much appreicated,
-Jack

ac13

Hi Jack, Welcome to the group. I have some prima donna growing and seems to be the same situation as you. Cones are getting big but little to no lupulin or aroma yet. Yet, another club member around 5KM from me has already harvested their cascade and brewed with it at the weekend.

Tom

Hop varieties mature at different rates so don't worry neighbouring hops if you don't know the variety. I usually watch for the UK harvest and wait two more weeks (55°N) at least. No August storm this year means the hops are actually in good nick.

IPAJack64

Got it!  Many thanks you two.  I'm growing Centenial hops, so I suspect they will need another week or two here.  It was brew day today, so I was kind of hoping to add some fresh hops into the brew pot, but it will have to be next time.  I brewed up a small batch (10 liters) of Pale Ale using Irish Hook Head Pale Malts and reused my yeast from my 21 liter batch 3 weeks ago (I made a starter).  Anyway, if you guys do meet up, please let me know.
All the best and thanks again!
-Jack

ac13

Hi Jack, Copper Coast Brewers are currently meeting 3rd Saturday of each month @ Grady's Yard in Waterford City. We are also on FB at Copper Coast Brewers where we post most info about meetups.