• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 06:56:37 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Scraggy Bay hops

Started by Charco, March 13, 2021, 02:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickvaughan

I recently made a Scraggy Bay clone based on the info and links on this board. Below is the recipe I used. I've compared it with real Scraggy Bay and I think its fairly close to the real Scraggy Bay. It would be great if someone else could try making the clone to see what they think Compared to this clone, the real Scraggy Bay is a bit hazier, has slightly better hop aroma and slightly more body. Colour and bitterness are the same for both.
So, for the next version of this clone, I might increase the % of crystal 150 a bit and use a higher mash temp to increase body, add 20g Centennial for dry hop and I won't use gelatine for fining when I cold crash.
Anyone got any other suggestions/comments?

phildo79

You could add a little wheat malt or malted oats for extra body/mouthfeel. Would definitely go with extra dry hops but not mosaic. I don't get a massive mosaic hit from SB. An equal blend of the other 3 might do the trick. Definitely avoid finings. I only use finings >8% to avoid the yeast becoming inhibited. If you keg your beer, it will clear naturally over time (should it last that long).

But it sounds like you are pretty close. Just a few minor tweaks and you could have an excellent recipe for a great house IPA.

dickvaughan

I just checked the side of the Scraggy Bay can I had last night, it has wheat in it. Not sure how I missed that.

thehoppyending

Quote from: dickvaughan on January 29, 2022, 11:32:18 PMI recently made a Scraggy Bay clone based on the info and links on this board. Below is the recipe I used. I've compared it with real Scraggy Bay and I think its fairly close to the real Scraggy Bay. It would be great if someone else could try making the clone to see what they think Compared to this clone, the real Scraggy Bay is a bit hazier, has slightly better hop aroma and slightly more body. Colour and bitterness are the same for both.
So, for the next version of this clone, I might increase the % of crystal 150 a bit and use a higher mash temp to increase body, add 20g Centennial for dry hop and I won't use gelatine for fining when I cold crash.
Anyone got any other suggestions/comments?

I'll give this a lash at some stage and report back!