• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:38:19 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kegging help

Started by irish1759, February 26, 2022, 08:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish1759

Kegged by first beer last week, carbonated at 15psi for 3 days then purged and dropped to 10psi @3°C for rest of the week. Was using a picnic tap to dispense but coming out like shaving foam. Connected a tab and same issue.
Any ideas, I have purged few time and psi at 5psi and same issue. Settles eventually like in the photo. Can it be fixed at all.

Sorcerers Apprentice

What length is the beer line between the picnic tap and the disconnect ? You may need to add a few metres of 3/16" beer line to reduce the pressure at the tap . You'll need two John guest reducers to step down and back up again from the 3/16" line . Coil up the 3/16 line and secure it in a neat coil with cable ties . You may need up to 3 or 4 meters of 3/16 " start long and if the flow is too slow, reduce the length gradually until you're happy with the flow and head height .
Your issue is that it's pouring too fast due to the short beer line length, would be my guess

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

irish1759

I have 2 meters of tube but I'd say it's 8mm rather than the 3/16. The faucet tap I have just connects straight to the corny kegs post and also has same issue.
I'll get some 3/16, and give it a try. Not sure what you mean about the reducers, to set it up and down

Sorcerers Apprentice

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/premium-party-tap-line/
Like this with John guest reducers stepping in your case the beer line down from 8mm to 3/16" and back up again to 8mm

irish1759

Grand, I'll order some new line in 3/16 and 3/8 and couple of JG reducers and see how I get on. Thanks for the help.

Sorcerers Apprentice

No problem, hopefully that'll sort it for you. There are calculators on line to predict the length of 3/16" beerline necessary to drop the pressure , but it's just as handy to start long and reduce the length, until it's to your personal preference for speed of fill and head height

irish1759

I got some 3/16 and reducers and build a line. Got 3m of 3/16, but still having the same problem with foam. Would I need to shorten the 3/8 tubing a bit do you think.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Sorry I hadn't noticed you'd posted a response , it looks like the beer is over carbonated , you said you left it at 15 psi for 3 days but that shouldn't have carbonated it to that level. Perhaps your gas guage is reading low, you can reduce the carbonation in the keg by stripping the CO2 out of the beer . Pop off the liquid disconnect , apply the gas disconnect to the liquid post , it's a tight fit but it will fit.  Apply gas to the liquid post in bursts and lift the pressure relief valve at the same time . This will drive the co2 up through the beer and strip the carbonation as it travels up through the beer . It will foam a bit out through the pressure relief valve so don't do it on an expensive carpet :-). Give it about 3 or 4 blasts and let it rest for a bit and then try dispense through the tap .
https://youtu.be/xk79UYGmAk8

Slev

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on March 09, 2022, 08:56:31 PMSorry I hadn't noticed you'd posted a response , it looks like the beer is over carbonated , you said you left it at 15 psi for 3 days but that shouldn't have carbonated it to that level. Perhaps your gas guage is reading low, you can reduce the carbonation in the keg by stripping the CO2 out of the beer . Pop off the liquid disconnect , apply the gas disconnect to the liquid post , it's a tight fit but it will fit.  Apply gas to the liquid post in bursts and lift the pressure relief valve at the same time . This will drive the co2 up through the beer and strip the carbonation as it travels up through the beer . It will foam a bit out through the pressure relief valve so don't do it on an expensive carpet :-). Give it about 3 or 4 blasts and let it rest for a bit and then try dispense through the tap .
https://youtu.be/xk79UYGmAk8

Would shaking the keg and then releasing the relief valve work? (repeat as needed)?

Sorcerers Apprentice

You'd get away with lifting the relief valve without shaking the keg but it would take a bit of time. Shaking the keg beforehand will cost you beer I reckon, plus possibly a wet ceiling :-)