• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 14, 2024, 10:54:33 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Homebrew Shop] HomeBrewWest

Started by HomeBrewWest, April 08, 2015, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomeBrewWest

PM your order number and we'll sort it out. If you don't have it, just PM the email address you used.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Beerbuddha

Are the plastic gears put there so they crap themselves first if there is any issue and are easily replaced rather than causing issues to the bearings or roller.
Devil's advocate and all. If so a spare pair would have been nice.
IBD Member

Leann ull

That mill is unique all other mills have a freely rotating second wheel and the friction of the grain getting crushed spins it
Design is poor for functionality of the product not the glass filled Nylon cogs.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: CH on September 20, 2016, 11:44:04 AM

Design is poor for functionality of the product not the glass filled Nylon cogs.

Ehh??

auralabuse

Kudos to HBW for the customer service though..... In case no one noticed ;)

Leann ull

Quote from: cruiscinlan on September 20, 2016, 01:57:38 PM
Quote from: CH on September 20, 2016, 11:44:04 AM

Ehh??

It's not the cogs that are the problem they shouldn't have been linked in the first place.
Pull one of them off and see whether it still works.

Fal

Do you think the v2 bulldog will be in stock Early or late October...gotta juggle some bills!!
...used to be NewBier

HomeBrewWest

Early October for the bulldog Brewer. Ch, linking the rollers stops shear on the grain. This is otherwise very considerable and releases tannins especially with a fine crush. This is what happened above, just imagine what it does to the grain if the rollers are not coupled.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

HomeBrewWest

The Bulldog Brewer And Wheat Beers

With all these All-In-One systems (even the Speidels) its impossible to mash 100% wheat malt because it turns into a "porridge" and nothing can get through it. So it must be mixed with barley malt which has good solid husks still intact, this allows a pathway for the wort to flow through.

Usually a maximum of 40% to 45% wheat malt is used. Some go as far as 50% and 55% has even been reported, but only with certain wheat malt brands. The balance must be barley malt with intact husks: so use a COARSE mill setting on the Bulldog Mill for the barley malt since this will keep the husks intact, and the wort will flow through: you need to be very careful so that you just crack the husks, and do not smash the husks to bits. So set the gap just small enough to crack all the husks, and then set it a tad finer. After lots of testing for Speidel micros, we've found this to give the best results. It will be the same for the Bulldog Brewer

If the malt pipe gets clogged up, all sorts of nasty problems can occur:
- poor conversion,
- the Brewer can get destroyed if all the water gets pumped into the malt pipe,
etc.

This has recently happened to a brewer in Eastern Europe, but it was a combination of errors combined with Mr Murphy that did the damage. The primary cause though was barley malt that was crushed too finely.

Leann ull

There is an optimum speed for grinding grain I believe it's 120rpm for using a drill, not standard drill speed, I control mine with a clamp on the button. Moistening also helps a lot to keep husk intact.
Addition of Oak or rice husks allow big wheat beers, give them a rinse before you put them in.
Probably always a good idea to pull through the first couple of litres (Vorlauf)pouring gently back in the top and then connect your pump.

HomeBrewWest

Plus one CH. I read that somewhere as well: above a certain speed, the husks just bounce back from the rollers. Can't remember what happens if speed is too low, might be a lack of power or something. But there is defo an optimum speed. Some mills don't like wet grain . . . they rust.

Forgot about rice husks, some malt suppliers suggest using them, even for moderate wheat beers.

I forgot to mention above that you must mix it all up really well of course, otherwise a layer of wheat malt could still clog everything up.

irish_goat

Gordon Strong recommends a dose of oat or rice husks in every mash to help regulate temperature (more bulk = less heat loss). I've started to throw 500g in as standard.

Leann ull

Very clever and they are cheap as chips as well

Will_D

Re: A dry bottom (of a system not draining thought the mash pipe):

That's why the GF has the overflow system (down the centre pipe)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing